Are the SNP about to take control of the Scottish Parliament

A few minutes ago the SNP had made 19 seat gains and Labour had lost 9. It is going to be a close thing but the SNP looks likely to gain overall control of the Scottish Parliament.

What could this mean for devolution and the future of the UK Parliament at Westminster?

Radio 4 this morning said that if they win they want full independence.

Certainly interesting times ahead. The whole Union is at risk. Would they become a republic, or just politically independent?

They would have to hold a referendum which would return a no. I think Scots voters want independence from Westminster but not independence from the UK.

They would have to hold a referendum which would return a no. I think Scots voters want independence from Westminster but not independence from the UK.

Really? And I want a money tree for my garden!

They will find a way of avoiding the full independence issue as even they know they can't afford it...I think. If not it will be a rude awakening.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jeremywarner/100010146/scotland-would-be-as-bust-as-iceland-if-it-had-been-independent/

I hope they get full independence and no more money from England and no more Scottish MPs in Parliament.

The referendum should be for the entire UK as I would certainly vote for it.

Go alone Scotland...don't come looking for English handouts though, BYE.

What surprised me with this is that if Scotland becomes independent it does the conservatives a huge favour because they don’t have many seats there. On the news David Cameron said he will fight against an independent Scotland, from a party point of view that wouldn’t make much sense.

I thinks it’s time we had four separate parliaments were they all look after the interests of their own country but come together on issues that affect all four. We all ready have three all that’s left to do is create an English parliament.

What surprised me with this is that if Scotland becomes independent it does the conservatives a huge favour because they don’t have many seats there. On the news David Cameron said he will fight against an independent Scotland, from a party point of view that wouldn’t make much sense.

That could be because he cares about what is best for Britain, rather than what is best for the Conservative party.

That could be because he cares about what is best for Britain, rather than what is best for the Conservative party.

LOL

He cares about what the loopy right wing of his party, who still think we have an empire, would do to him if Scotland went it's own way.

The SNP may want independence, but the people of Scotland don't. They will hold the referendum, lose it and carry on like they have done over the last few years.

However, the SNP now have an overall majority in the Parliament, if they use this time to demonstrate that they can run Scotland and run it well, then they may be able to make a case for independence when the next referendum comes round.

The other point, is that the referendum wouldn't be binding whatever the result. Independence would require primary legislation in Westminster. However, I would hope that faced with a decisive vote for independence they would take the hint.

As it seems unlikely such a referendum would produce a vote for independence we seem to be obsessing about this for no particular reason. So let's move on to something productive like bashing Nick Clegg.