Thai Boxing in Stannington ?

Is there a Thai Boxing gym in Stannington because every Tuesday about 8:30pm I see this man usually looking knackered with a few others wearing Wickercamp Thai Boxing shorts and a Green VW van full of pads, gloves and mats. Not had chance to stop him and ask, so I was wondering if anyone knows anything !!

Edited by investigate

There's Paul Powers' Gym based at what used to be the Deerstalker Pub, he teaches K1 Kickboxing so very similar.

Yes I've seen that place don't think it's him he's got a BMW I think, I have also seen the VW van parked on Effingham Street in the morning next to the Wicker Camp place.

That knackered man would be me, there isn't a gym we just do a session on a Tuesday, its a long story :-)

Are you a stalker, Private investigator, or TAX man or you interested in Martial Arts ? :-)

LOL, no just fancied doing a session, as I dont fancy travelling to the otherside of town after work etc.

Long story !! would you care to expand. ? is it an undercover operation (only joking) lol.

Started training at Wickercamp about 2000 to current day. Mick a couple of years ago invited me,one of my brothers and two others to do a private session with him every tuesday at 4pm. We did this for a year or so but due to our kids we found it hard to all get together on a regular basis. Mick not being the type of person to take peoples money for the sake of it said to me and my brother why don't you do a session and train the kids at the same time instead of coming down here and having to pay for them all. I purchased some Thai Pads, a few sets of gloves and booked Stannington Church hall from 6:30 to 8:30 and we just have a bit of a casual session doing a warm up, stretch, a couple of techniques/combination, padwork etc, just an extension of how Mick taught us on those Tuesdays. The adults contributed £3 and kids £1.50 just to cover the price of the room. It's funny you should ask about it as we have been doing it now for about 18 months and are going to be bringing it to a close as some of the kids other hobbies have now changed days and now clash, so we only had 5 of us last week and doesn't cover the cost of the room anymore. Its a pity we couldn't find a permanent room in Stannington so I could leave all the stuff set up and not have to lug it around in the van every Tuesday.

Is there much call for Muay Thai in Stannington ??

Hi beachec

Can 7 years olds join this session? I have relatives who live in this area, and are lookin for activities to do for their young children. £1.50 per session is amazing value.

I had no idea that there was this activity running at the chuch hall, and I rent the place on Thursday. Have you tried putting an ad on the notice board near near the shops, or even the notice board near Dam Flask? i bet if people knew this session took place, you would have lots of interest.

If 7 year olds can join, how long will the session last, is it 6.30pm to 7.30pm? I let people know if they can join in

I have called the Church Hall and asked them to cancel my booking so the room is now free. I am going to look for a permanent base in Stannington somewhere, so I can just set it all up and train whenever, as it was a good workout just transporting the gear to and from the church hall and then I never got to train. :-(

Anyone got any good ideas on buildings that need filling in Stannington !!

Oh thats a shame, will you let me know if you set up another session in the future ?

Decided to build a 7 m x 10 m Matted gym at the bottom of the Garden to do a bit of training in, I will give you a shout when finished if you are still interested.

Have you thought about the methodist church at Stannwood? they offer the room to community activities x

I might consider it if we do a one off session until gym is built, how much does it cost any idea ?