2011 Council Election Results

I fear many will again...or already have. It's unfortunate that Labour both locally and nationally have fought such a dirty and targeted campaign of 'its all Clegg's fault' to try and convince people that they wouldn't have done exactly the same thing. I smell the same old Labour politics of Balls..Ed Balls.

I can't remember one leaflet we've gotten through the door from the Lib Dems that didn't attack, blame or accuse Labour of something.

Both sides do it, and to be fair the Lib Dems have hardly delivered nationally on any of their promises.

Labour really need to show they can govern a City like Sheffield if they have any hope of improving their image.

I was at the count last night and the look of abject horror on the Broomhill labour candidate's face when he realised he was likely to win, was unbelievable .He really was unhappy about his victory. Lucky old Broomhill to have gained such a committed councillor.

I can't remember one leaflet we've gotten through the door from the Lib Dems that didn't attack, blame or accuse Labour of something.

TBH I can't actually remember receiving a leaflet from the Lib Dems at all.

Both sides do it, and to be fair the Lib Dems have hardly delivered nationally on any of their promises.

Yes they do, but Labour have been running a very deliberate and targeted campaign which is not designed to show anyone what they can do but simply to bring down the coalition and Nick Clegg. It's pantomime politics and it stinks, especially after Milliband banging on about new politics in his leadership campaign.

I know my tax bill has decreased as a result of the increase in the personal allowance, its not much but it sure makes a difference when I'm losing £100/mth to repay my LABOUR imposed student loan.

Labour really need to show they can govern a City like Sheffield if they have any hope of improving their image.

I only hope they can govern it properly and start to create some real jobs and success. Unfortunately, from what I see from the Labour supporters on here most Sheffield Labourites are left of Scargill and just as stuck in the past. It frightens me.

Edited by biotechpete

Pretty predictable really. Interesting that the Greens got nearly as many votes as the Tories city-wide, but it's difficult to see them winning more seats, unlike Brighton for example which is fast becoming the Green Petrograd of British politics.

[/b]

I have to agree with this bit.

So you don't agree that the Conservative Party increased it's council seats total?

Strange that, being as it's a fact. :confused:

TBH I can't actually remember receiving a leaflet from the Lib Dems at all.

Yes they do, but Labour have been running a very deliberate and targeted campaign which is not designed to show anyone what they can do but simply to bring down the coalition and Nick Clegg. It's pantomime politics and it stinks, especially after Milliband banging on about new politics in his leadership campaign.

I know my tax bill has decreased as a result of the increase in the personal allowance, its not much but it sure makes a difference when I'm losing £100/mth to repay my LABOUR imposed student loan.

I only hope they can govern it properly and start to create some real jobs and success. Unfortunately, from what I see from the Labour supporters on here most Sheffield Labourites are left of Scargill and just as stuck in the past. It frightens me.

You're missing the point. All parties have to take flak for what they have done, and the Lib Dems are now in a position where what they said actually has to be delivered. Increase in the allowance is great, but it's not at £10,000 like they promised. and yes Labour did introduce tuition fees, but they didn't promise, even pledge, to remove them then triple them.

Labour are not going to create some real jobs and you know it. Don't set your expectations that high - we've still got a government that has no mandate to do what they are doing and each and every council is going to struggle with the cuts Pikles is pushing through.

the key is doing a good job with a bad hand and coming through. That is what will define them.

Digglydog, How did the Greens do in Sheffied ? Looks like you almost took Brighton and did well in Norwich. You'll be pleased to know that Labour gained 5 seats in Barnsley. Labour took Broomhill, maybe he/she was amazed that the seat hadn't gone with Lib Dem or Green

John X : The anti- Fascist journal Searchlight does a little bit on Jordan Pont, it's on their website, take a look. None of the BNP candidates in Barnsley did anything before the "Chav" accusation kicks in again.

]I can't remember one leaflet we've gotten through the door from the Lib Dems that didn't attack' date=' blame or accuse Labour of something. [/size'][/u]

It's the mantra preached repeatedly from the higher echelons, and parroted relentlessly by the wordsmiths recruited to come on pages such as this, and grind us down to the depths of tedium by doing nothing else than telling us that if we want to be seen as clever as they are we too must follow the thoughts that they have had drilled into them.

Surely anyone with a modicum of sense will see that this is no longer working and if the Libdems are to recover from this humiliation they must begin to rely on more than snide putdowns and childish soundbites.

Far be it from me to tell anyone who is passionate about their politics what to do,but it does seem to the average Sheffield voter sees Labour as a superior alternative to one trick ponies and washed out soundbite purveyors,it could well be time for another election ,maybe a leadership one........

If i could be allowed to offer one piece of advice it would be this,please stop the condescending posts telling everyone that they are less than scum if they even consider voting Labour,perhaps if you occassionally offered something of substance instead of scorn and derision then the result may have been less excrutiating for you.

I have more sympathy for the Lib Dems than most, but I really do despise their "Only the Lib Dems can keep out X" leaflets, distorted bar charts and all.

At least we might not see as many school closures now...

Rossyrooney: Good post. Andy Burnham hit leading Lib Dem Paddy Ashdown with a few home truths regarding the Lib Dems self interested focus on the AV vote whilst simultaneously joining their Coalition partners in attacking the NHS, Tuition/EMA fees, and on their VAT policies.

Today I watched Chris Huhne sat between his Cabinet buddy Francis Maude and David Dimbleby tear into the Tories over the AV campaign and when he'd finished ranting (what now for the Coalition ?) Sadiq Khan issued the coup de gras to Huhne and the Lib Dems.

It's all coming unstuck for the Lib Dems. Serves them right, they should leave the Coalition now.