2011 Council Election Results

exactly gularscute a kick in the teeth for the boy wonder and tory creep

What happened to cause the Conservatives any concern, they increased their council seats? :loopy:

Labour were always going to pick up council seats, better that they attempt to destroy our town and cities individually, rather than what is left of our economy in one go.

The Lib-Dems find themselves between a rock and a hard place. They never expected to be involved in governing the country, hence their usual daft election pledges. Cameron has played a blinder, he knew that the Lib-Dems would take the brunt of the Labour supporters displeasure in respect of tuition fees and public sector pension reform.

Well Labour can jump up and down as much as they like, but they don't have any more seats in parliament than they did yesterday, and the coalition still stands firm, I reckon that it will last the full term.

Edited by crookesey

It's a strange one when you consider how disgruntled people are with the (plainly Tory) cuts. The difference to me seems to be the fact that Clegg had to break promises to get into government whereas the Tories just had to agree to an AV referendum and a few 'little' things. Cuts are in line with what you'd expect Cameron to do, but not people who stand for the Liberal Democrats.

Cameron had to break promises too (on inheritance tax, national insurance, ...).

I think the main difference is that the Conservatives have more pragmatists who understand how coalition politics works, whereas the Lib Dems have (had) more idealists who are unwilling to compromise.

Labour take control? So now we have Gordon Clown's mob running the City? No, just, no! :gag::rant::loopy:

Get with it, or is Miliband too hard to find a childish remark to rhyme with.

We are all feeling very upset by what has happened right now, which is understandable as we are very weary.Some very hard working councillors have unfortunately lost their seats and their jobs, but being the kind of people that they are they will live to fight another day.

sorry to say this but the lib dems now need to go back to Nick Clegg and your senior leaders and thank them for causing this for you.

Its a backlash, and well deserved, probably misplaced against the local councillors as opposed to MP's but there you have it.

Nick Clegg is now at last paying the price for becoming Camerons lackey.

Labour take control? So now we have Gordon Clown's mob running the City? No, just, no! :gag::rant::loopy:

So who did you vote for then?

Cameron had to break promises too (on inheritance tax, national insurance, ...).

I think the main difference is that the Conservatives have more pragmatists who understand how coalition politics works, whereas the Lib Dems have (had) more idealists who are unwilling to compromise.

True on both counts, I also believe that Labour adopted the no hoper Ed, leaving their messiah, brother David in waiting.

I reckon that it will last the full term.
I reckon so, and there is now less affinity than ever between the Sheffield Council and its paymasters down south.

I reckon the next stipend haircut will be a tad harsher, same-o for other 'turned' councils.

Thinking about it as I'm typing, though, it might all 'come good'...people eventually coming to reject both the national austerity imposed by the coalition and the local austerity perpetuated by labour councils (from hands tied by budgetary cuts). Interesting times ahead ;)

Well Labour can jump up and down as much as they like, but they don't have any more seats in parliament than they did yesterday,.

But its back to a two horse race.

and the coalition still stands firm, I reckon that it will last the full term.

We shall see. :D

Yep - most lid dem supporters I know just don't seem to be willing to have anything less than every last one of their policies implemented (which is never,ever going to happen because they are never going to win under FPTP). Ironically AV would allow them more influence in future GE to get more of their policies through, but many lib dem supporters will vote against it to give Clegg a bloody nose.

Get with it, or is Miliband too hard to find a childish remark to rhyme with.

I thought that Milligoon suited him well.

How has Mr Postman got on ?

East Ecclesfield result:

Victoria Margaret Bowden

Liberal Democrat

Votes: 2150

Kaye Horsfield

Green Party

Votes: 333

Russell Marsh-Smith

Conservative Party Candidate

Votes: 421

Jordan Michael Pont

British National Party

Votes: 385 (barely half the votes they got in 2009 and only 2% of the electorate. Not good for a party organiser standing in only one of two carefully selected seats)

Steven Wilson

The Labour Party

Votes: 2926

Didn't see much of Mr Pont during the campaign, but given that he actually lived on the other side of town, I guess he couldn't spare the time. :hihi:

John X

I don't know if anyone has posted the link yet, but there is an article in the Guardian about Sheffield City Council which

'[....] only set a short-term budget, knowing it would probably lose power – as it did – and that Labour would have to pick up the pieces. The job loss figure was actually 737, plus those in outsourced services such as refuse collection, sport and benefit administration.

Sheffield Lib Dems also raided the reserves in order to set a legal budget. Council officials have signalled that additional mid-year action – ie cuts – will have to be made to keep the city afloat.

In short, Clegg, a Sheffield MP on the affluent west side of the city, must have had a rough idea of what was being done, but chose to spin it otherwise. It's no great crime, but it is what Clegg (rightly) accused Gordon Brown of doing with the nation's finances before the 6 May general election a year ago.'

Full link here http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/blog/2011/may/06/liberal-democrats-nick-clegg-michael-white