Redrobbo - a bit of a bumpy ride ahead

Enjoy Norway Redrobbo, you deserve it. And best of luck for the future, may your retirement be happy and long.

:)

Guest sibon

I'm smiling Robbo. That's a brilliant post. And such excellent news too.

Enjoy the next chapter of your life.

Thank you, Redrobbo, for your post and the inspiration it is to everyone. Once again, you have brought tears to my eyes. You have served your community very well and have so much to be proud of, but, now, it's time to reward yourself a little. Have a fabulous trip and a wonderful time enjoying life with nobikejohn. You deserve it.:)

Lovely to read your post Red. Good on you for putting yourself and nobikejohn first for a change. You deserve all the happiness in the world.

Delighted to hear you've made such a great recovery - and that you and nobikejohn are moving in together and taking that trip to Norway.x

Ace post Red,you show 'em how it's done mate...All my very best wishes.

Enjoy your trip to Norway Red, you deserve it.

I think your courage and determination and the unwavering love and support that you and nobikejohn have shown for each other are inspiring.

I hope you enjoy your holiday in norway and have many more adventures together.

It's one year today that I got my 'all clear' result.

It's taken me the best part of the last twelve months to regain my strength and energy. (Alas, the tubby waist line has also come back!). The dreadful bouts of fatigue, which knocked me for six, have finally ended. I look and feel so well now.

I'm still having follow-up hospital dental treatment in Hull (as I had teeth removed prior to the radiotherapy) -though that should end in the New Year when I get my new dentures fitted.

I've had several problems in my neck due to swellings and a bad infection, but eventually got over them - but you get scared that the cancer has come back every time an unexpected lump pops up in your neck.

I've recently been moved from 4 weekly to 8 weekly check-ups. That proved to be an incredible psychological boost.

I returned to Castle Hill Hospital (near Hull) on Christmas morning as Santa and gave out presents (paid for by a charity) to all the patients. Considering that I was only given to last Christmas to live, it was a privilage to be able to start this Christmas at the hospital that gave me my life back.

My life threatening cancer has now become life changing. nobikejohn has recently taken early retirement from work, and sometime during 2013, once he's sold his house near Hull, he'll be moving to live with me in Sheffield.

For over a decade we've talked about a holiday in Norway in search of the Northern Lights. Life, I've now realised, is too precious to keep talking about what you'd like to do. The talking is over - it's time instead to act. So we've booked a two week winter cruise to Norway and we're off in a couple of months time. We've only got one life, and we've realsied that if we don't do it, then one day one of us will be all alone and expressing regret that we never got round to this holiday of a lifetime because we left it too late.

I shall now stand down as a city councillor at the end of my current elected term in two years time. I'll have clocked up a dozen years as a councillor by then, achieved quite a few things for my constituents, but will then be looking forward to spending some quality time with nobikejohn in blissful retirement together.

Nobody wants cancer. My treatment was long and difficult, grim and gruesome, but I survived it and here I am, a year later, still walking this earth. But when you are so ill for so long a time and facing death, oh boy do you reassess what you are doing with your life!

And every day you breathe and every day the sun shines - or even when it rains - and every time you see your family and your loved ones, it is a bonus. And now, one year today, I am celebrating that I am alive.

My thanks to all those on SF and on this thread who gave me their support and saw me through a bumpy ride to my journey's end.

Smile .... because today is truly awesome.

redrobbo

I wish you all the best Red, we had a few barnies on here and had different political allegiances but you were always a gentleman!

Thanks for the update Redrobbo.

Glad to hear you're feeling better.

Enjoy your trip :)

Mine and Dens best wishes for 2013 and your future life, have a great time in Norway. Also glad to have met you earlier this year, you are an inspiration

Robbo, what a lovely, moving post. Have a marvelous trip, lord knows you deserve it. Happy christmas, and best wishes for 2013!