Where can i find a private landlord that will take DSS?

Now just how would the tennant get his or hers money back when the council pay the rent?whats to stop the landlord saying sorry but you cant have the months rent back.

The tenant could just keep the first HB payment they receive into their account :)

The tenant could just keep the first HB payment they receive into their account :)

most landlords want the rent paying direct to them.

most landlords want the rent paying direct to them.

yes, but most cases now, they can't have it like that. Unless there are extreme circumstances that have affected the tenants money management in the past :)

yes, but most cases now, they can't have it like that. Unless there are extreme circumstances that have affected the tenants money management in the past :)

I hope your right.:)

I hope your right.:)

I am... You have to declare on the forms that you have drug or alcohol addictions or previous problems with paying your rent before the rent can get paid to the landlord. If the landlord decides mid-tenancy that they want it paying to them, the tenant has to be 2 months in arrears.

We have a mixture of private and DSS tenants and i must say that they are as good as each other. I have never taken a credit reference as most admit they would fail and i believe that, if you have the knack ,it is quite easy to judge a persons character when speaking face to face. Treat someone with respect and most people return the compliment. As a quick plug to anyone concerned in this thread i have a one bed flat available on Manorpark way S1 from the 30 May.

I am... You have to declare on the forms that you have drug or alcohol addictions or previous problems with paying your rent before the rent can get paid to the landlord. If the landlord decides mid-tenancy that they want it paying to them, the tenant has to be 2 months in arrears.

Thanks for that,I dont have any addictions, dont even smoke,and I dont have any debt to anyone. lol must be one of the few in the black.my bank love me.:)

The landlord has to sign a declaration on the forms, so they can see that it can't be paid to them, you're not having them on :hihi: Most don't want to take it because of how long it takes to sort out, but, as said above, if you can put a payment down in advance, it should be fine :)

"Under the LHA rules, can Housing Benefit be paid directly to a landlord?

Not as a general rule. Under the LHA rules Housing Benefit is paid to the claimant, unless they are likely to have difficulty paying their rent; they are more than 8 weeks in arrears with their rent (this can include rent payable in advance); or they are on Income Support or Job Seekers Allowance and deductions from this benefit are being made to pay off rent arrears.

There are many reasons why someone might have difficultly in paying their rent, for example someone may have learning difficulties, be unable to read or speak English, be an un-discharged bankrupt, have severe debt problems, or have an addiction to drugs, alcohol or gambling. In circumstances like these we may be able to pay their benefit to their landlord. To help us establish whether or not it would be appropriate to pay to the landlord we have produced a Safeguard Policy. A copy of the policy can be viewed by clicking on the link at the bottom of this page.

If the claimant is worried about managing their money, we can give advice on who can help with this."

whats to stop the landlord saying sorry but you cant have the months rent back.
The law. Deposits must be paid into a regulated rent deposit scheme, from which it is paid back at the end of the tenancy. If the landlord has any issues over the deposit being paid back they are required to take it up with the rent deposit scheme, see here.

Hi everyone,

I just wondered whether anyone could recommend private landlords who accept DSS?

I would be very grateful.

Many thanks

...they still look at you and tar you with the same brush pathetic really...

While this may feel that way, and sometimes it will be, I can assure you that many Landlords are not wary of benefit claimants per se, but it's more about having to deal with the Council.

Landlords realise that Councils take ages to set anything up, that Councils pay in arrears rather than advance, that the LHA rates aren't going to rise in line with the market, that the Council will advise a Tenant to "stay put" if the Landlord tries to evict via Section 21 and cause more cost, hassle and effort for the Landlord (and, indeed, all parties). It's one of the major reasons why certain Landlord are reluctant... often it's less about the prospective Tenant. There is also uncertainty regarding Universal Credit and some horror stories already circulating.