When has humanity been at its most peaceful in history?

With the death of Osama Bin Laden, if this was to bring an end to the war in Afghanistan and Iraq. Hoping the middle east protestors get what they want. Could we be heading for more peaceful times? :)

The more of us that are alive the more war we will see.

The most peaceable time was probably during the Roman Empire under the Nerva Antonines. When the Empire was run under the absolute power of the man in charge. Gibbon said that this was the period when nthe human race were most happy and prosperous.

No democracy though. Discuss?

The most peaceable time was probably during the Roman Empire under the Nerva Antonines. When the Empire was run under the absolute power of the man in charge. Gibbon said that this was the period when nthe human race were most happy and prosperous.

history as written by the victors, ace init

There wont be peaceful times until humanity is no more.

Sounds pretty good, fair enough we will all be under the rule of the man. But atleast we will be together. Im sure it will be more complex but sounds nice in a sentence.

There wont be peaceful times until humanity is no more.

Well animals aren't exactly peaceful towards one another, the earth will probably be in peace once were gone, but I was refering to the most peaceful time humans have lived through.

The 17th and 18th centuries were centuries of war, so were the nineteenth and twentieth. It is already very obvious that the 21st will be a century of war too. War is the natural state, it is merely the means by which it is fought that changes.

As a world we now have greater access to each other and equipment to blow each other up than ever before.

Ah well, perhaps next century will be better!:roll:

Edited by Mangoes

Possibly during the ice ages when man was first heading into Europe. We were pretty scarce then and information was more important than warfare so when groups met, instead of fighting they exchanged information about animal migrations and stuff like that.

People were generally too busy trying to survive to think about fighting each other and it appears that warfare is a luxury that only rich or safe societies can afford. Give a society a crisis and they`ll be too busy trying to overcome that to think about scrapping.

The 17th and 18th centuries were centuries of war, so were the nineteenth and twentieth. It is already very obvious that the 21st will be a century of war too. War is the natural state, it is merely the means by which it is fought that changes.

As I world we now have greater access and equipment to blow each other up than ever before.

Ah well, perhaps next century will be better!:roll:

You paint a dull and likely realistic picture, but I hope your wrong. With so much of the worlds poppulation wanting peace, how is it that such a small amount drag the majority into a war.

Jabberwocky your last sentence hit the nail on the head, but if only a society didnt need a crisis to be distracted from "scrapping" as you put it.

Edited by Zain_SF

Well animals aren't exactly peaceful towards one another, the earth will probably be in peace once were gone, but I was refering to the most peaceful time humans have lived through.

i dont think we have had one.

i remember reading years ago, about a time during an iceage. when its thought human numbers were down to 10,000. maybe that was the most peacful time.

in the sense that we were so spread out we could not find each other to kill.

With the price of oil as it is i cant see things changing in the near future