Family outgrow Sheffield council house (Panorama - 4 May 2011)

The couple who live in her parents flat above her shop, Charlotte. Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like the cafe where you turn left of the moor, near Zing vaa. Anyone else know where I mean & agree?

I asked why she needed more kids, why would there even be a reason behind that? Is there any need for a hissy fit?

What immigration high horse? I'm asking why waiting lists are even necessary.

Why? Because scamming <removed> are renting houses whilst owning houses and making ££££ off the rent they receive for letting these out, people are selling houses they own and taking council houses, people are coming into the country/city from different places with immigration or moving with work or whatever, people are buying council houses they have lived in and there doesn't seem to be much replacement of all of these , 99% of the houses advertised are 'priority applicants only' and in this day and age, unless you receive money from inheritance, a win, are from a well off family or have savings there is pretty much no chance of ownign your own house so many rely on council housing and unless you breed and qualify for bigger places or come into the country or city in need of priority housing, you are just left to wait for years on end while all the properties get taken by the above people mentioned or bought up and not replaced!

Edited by Andy
Language!

Why? Because scamming barstewards are renting houses whilst owning houses and making ££££ off the rent they receive for letting these out, people are selling houses they own and taking council houses, people are coming into the country/city from different places with immigration or moving with work or whatever, people are buying council houses they have lived in and there doesn't seem to be much replacement of all of these , 99% of the houses advertised are 'priority applicants only' and in this day and age, unless you receive money from inheritance, a win, are from a well off family or have savings there is pretty much no chance of ownign your own house so many rely on council housing and unless you breed and qualify for bigger places or come into the country or city in need of priority housing, you are just left to wait for years on end while all the properties get taken by the above people mentioned or bought up and not replaced!

That's pretty insulting to those who work hard to earn the money to own a house.

That's pretty insulting to those who work hard to earn the money to own a house.

Not everyone who works hard can rent, pay bills and save £10k+ for a house though, can they? Maybe if you live at home or have such a high paying job that you can rent and save but in lots of cases, unlikely.

my neighbour had 5 kids and a husband and lived in a 2bedroom house she didnt want to move

Not everyone who works hard can rent, pay bills and save £10k+ for ahouse though, can they? Maybe if you live at home or have such a hig paying job that you can rent and save but in lots of cases, unlikely.

I don't remember saying everyone.

Many people can afford a house not simply based on the lucky situations you outline but because they work hard for it.

I just think it's a bit rude to assume that nearly everyone who owns a house is in some way privileged.

The majority of the people on the show did not work and did not appear to be bothered about the fact.

There is always some job that can be done and yes sometimes you have to swallow your pride in life and do jobs others wont do but as long as it pays.

The moral to this is "Never rely on anyone but yourself"

Days of council house hand outs was over a long time ago.

I don't remember saying everyone.

Many people can afford a house not simply based on the lucky situations you outline but because they work hard for it.

I just think it's a bit rude to assume that nearly everyone who owns a house is in some way privileged.

No you misunderstand me... these days, with the housing market and all, large deposits are needed and unless you are in one of the situations I mentioned, it's pretty hard to save a deposit. A woman I worked with only got her house because 2 grandparents had passed away within a few months of each other and left her money, which is sad, and saddens me as I don't want to have to rely on money I may get when my loved ones die but unless I earn twice as much as I will be doing when I qualify, there is no hope of me being able to afford to save for a deposit to get out of council housing, whilst also renting and paying the bills that comes with it. Do you understand me now?

I am not talking about people who already own as the housing market has changed so much and yes, some own purely as they saved (but deposits and houses were cheaper a few years ago!).. I am on about being able to buy NOW, in the current climate.

Edited by Miss_S_83

No you misunderstand me... these days, with the housing market and all, large deposits are needed and unless you are in one of the situations I mentioned, it's pretty hard to save a deposit. A woman I worked with only got her house because 2 grandparents had passed away within a few months of each other and left her money, which is sad, and saddens me as I don't want to have to rely on money I may get when my loved ones die but unless I earn twice as much as I will be doing when I qualify, there is no hope of me being able to afford to save for a deposit to get out of council housing, whilst also renting and paying the bills that comes with it. Do you understand me now?

I don't misunderstand you at all as it happens.

Maybe you're reading my posts wrong?

I know exactly how buying a house works, I'm saying, people can afford it. Many people can still afford to own their own home, you seem to be assuming everyone is in your situation. My point is, that's pretty rude.

Using yourself as an example, you've saved for a wedding have you not? That can't be cheap yet you managed that. Surely that's the same as saving for a deposit?

Edited by clairelaw123

This is a topic that might actually interest some people, so lets stop the sniping and name calling and keep to the subject matter please.

Or make anyone over 18 get a job and pay full rent. Then see if they want the bigger house.

This as well, but if theyre in school (which after seeing the program doesnt seem to be the case) would make it hard to do so - especially if theyre taking care of young ones in the day & studying.

If theyre not in school and able bodied, they should be working - at least part time - and enough to at least have partial assistance to pay the rent so theyre not living at home still.

So what if they end up in a council house too? Kinda counter productive, don't you think?

I, personally, wouldnt mind as if they were relocated to the same area it be more than likely to be council than privately rented.

Not everything is black and white - especially with those on benefits - and we shouldnt be so quick to judge and assume about people and their lifestyles.

Before attacking the people in the show for being on benefits, remember this...

Many of the youth in Sheffield work, over 60% of them (unemployment being 20%+, students, disabled etc.).

They generally work for minimum wage. And cannot afford to cover the rent which is propped up, and kept artificially high, by housing benefit.

The state of housing in this country and especially the city of Sheffield is atrocious.

Some of those in need of state housing are being placed in the private sector in sub-standard housing. Some of those in need of state housing, are being denied any housing whatsoever. A few who need it, get it. Managers decision, family working in housing, wink wink, you know.

Things have to change, and the sooner the better. We need to build housing, housing fit for humans. And that housing should be affordable.

There are a very many people in Sheffield about to join the housing queue, you might call them 'owner occupiers with hefty mortgages', or maybe even 'lambs to the slaughter'.

Interest rates will have to rise, otherwise inflation will rage and push people over the edge, and not just the indebted.

A consequence of this will be cheaper housing, but the underlying lack of housing for the poorest in society will still be there.

If your not a youth, maybe you have children of your own?

What is their housing situation?

What are their prospects?

SHEFFIELD HOMELESS