Lobbying Council for Allotment, Walkley S6

Hello,

I am going to lobby the local counil to provide more allotments in the S6 lower walkley area, they are bound by law to provide this if six or more people come together and request it.

I have a letter ready based on a proforma from the Landshare website and also have two other friends interested, so we need three more people, who are council tax paying residents of Walkley, to join us to lobby our local councillor.

If you are interested please PM me, more information can be found on the landshare site.

Hi - Where about on teh landshare website is teh info. Ive been on it but cant find it. Thanks

I'm sorry that you're having to go to these lengths. Have you been waiting long on the list? I know that they are clearing lots of plots on the Hagg Lane site that have become overgrown with trees over the years. Depends where you want one though.

Hello,

I am going to lobby the local counil to provide more allotments in the S6 lower walkley area, they are bound by law to provide this if six or more people come together and request it.

I have a letter ready based on a proforma from the Landshare website and also have two other friends interested, so we need three more people, who are council tax paying residents of Walkley, to join us to lobby our local councillor.

If you are interested please PM me, more information can be found on the landshare site.

Hi, PM'd you in the week. Any news yet?

Hello,

You do realise this is unlikely to work? They may have a duty to do this but there is no limit on the length of time it takes to provide the land. Just how many new sites have been created in the city or around the country despite huge waiting lists? It'll be quicker to join a waiting list - they're less than a year on a couple of sites around here now (Hagg House and Hagg Lane). Don't know about the other sites.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies, FiFi, the Landshare info is HERE

Andy, just picked up your PM, there aren't enough of us yet so if you know anyone nearby let me know.

Rapido, its not really great lengths, just a letter with six peoples' names and addresses on. I'm not sure which allotments have what names, but the ones they are clearing at the bottom of Hagg Lane on Rivelin Valley Road still have a 2-3 year waiting list despite the clearance they are doing :( I'm on the Morley Street list, around 75th when I checked the other week and being told anything from a 3-5 year wait!

RobD1, as mentioned above I am on a waiting list and know there is no time limit on the action the council take, but I think its worth a try for the sake of a letter. Are the waiting lists down there really less than a year, as I was told none are that short?

The thing that really annoys me is how many have been left overgrown when the waiting lists are so long. If they were to give me one of those sites on the condition that I sorted it myself I would bite their hands off! I'm down at my friend's allotment on Rivelin Valley Road quite a bit and all they have done there is cut down all the hedges so low that the plots being used are now insecure, and occassionally turn up and pick up a bit of glass and then sit in their vans. I know there are people on the waiting lists who would be overwhelmed by the clearance, but so many would be willing to do it themselves to cut down the wait. By the time they've done it the main growing season will be over and they will get in a state again before next year.

The waiting list on Hagg Lane as at 4th April 2011 was 58 people, with the person at the top of the list waiting since February 2010 (14 months)according to the Allotments Office. I would encourage you to put your name on the waiting list instead.

Our waiting list (Hagg House) was 20 at the beginning of April and the person at the top of the list had been waiting 12 months. I'd speak to the allotment office and ask them about the various waiting lists for the different sites in the area, they've cleared quite a few in the last 12 months and the inspections are a bit more rigorous than they were in the past which also helps free up plots.

i was told a couple of years for morley st