Bents green school memories

Hi, I have posted another thread asking about the partially sighted department of the school. Anybody there in the mid 50's to mid 60's?

Copestake had a reputation for being a real so-and-so. I remember my mother going ballistic about him doing some work (extractions) on my sister's teeth, without my mother's authorisation.

We had our own, family dentist who took care of our teeth, and Copestake had no business doing anything to my sister's teeth, not even an examination, never mind the extractions, (!!)

dentists have no right to touch you or treat you medically without your ma@s perrmission

dentists have no right to touch you or treat you medically without your ma@s perrmission

We know. ( ;) )That's why my mother went ballistic.

Plain talker, You contribute to the BGS threads regularly. As I was there in the days of Mr Copestake would I know who your sister was?!.

Hi, I have posted another thread asking about the partially sighted department of the school. Anybody there in the mid 50's to mid 60's?

Didn't David Blunkett attend at that time?

Didn't David Blunkett attend at that time?

David Blunkett attended Tapton Mount School For The Blind, in Crosspool.

Hi Everyone

Newbie on here and came across this site by chance when trying to find some pictures of the rebuild on the old school and noticed quite a few posts on here re BG.

I left Sheffield many years ago and wasn't exactly a pupil at the school but it was my home for about 16 yrs.

Your posts brought back some great memories and reminders of some of the people and friends that I had forgotten about, would love to hear more stories from Bents Green Special School (as it was called then)

I was there from about 1963.

Anyone on here remember that era ?

My mate always told amusing stories from his stay there. He told us he went there after he had some kind of illness and his mum couldn't afford all the good food he needed to build him up. I'm not sure when he went though

There is loads about Bents Green School already on the forum, just use the search box. Mike.

There is loads about Bents Green School already on the forum, just use the search box. Mike.

Hi Mike-S

I have seen some of the other threads about BGS on here but most seemed to be from a while ago, can't recall you although your name sounds very familiar, see you regularly post on here.

I can remember Mandy Reynolds, Carol Foster, the Eastwoods, Dean, Darren and Lee, Joy Glossop, Pat Marsden, the two Johns and I can't remember their surnames but they were always together, June Mcdonald, Wayne Broadhurst who kept in touch with us for quite a while and many more who I'm sure will spring to mind eventually.

As I said I wasn't a pupil but I sure felt like one sometimes, we all seemed to have to muck in and I played with the boarders in the evenings, remember the Wreck and the Summer house, Fraisthorpe Camp and Monyash, etc

So lovely to see from other posts that most pupils appreciated their time there and felt it was a good chapter in their lives, we all had some excellent times didn't we.

I'm Fiona, Mr Baileys daughter.

---------- Post added 10-08-2013 at 22:38 ----------

Duffems

In response to your question.

We didn't live at the lodge at the side of the house, as far as I remember the caretakers usually lived there.

We lived in the heads flat our living room window overlooked the car park and adventure playground in what was the new part of the school at the time, although I think where our flat was would have actually been an original part of the old house maybe some out buildings which were incorporated into the new part.

I know our flat door opened opposite the assembly hall and was next door to the new showers.

Hi Fiona, (your forum name threw me!). I do remember you well, I suppose it would be more likely that some of the pupils remember you, than you them as so many would have passed through over the years. The very sad thing is that shortly before your Dad passed away I bought a freehouse not far from where you lived, and I had no idea. I am still in touch with some friends in your village who know of you, they were regular customers of mine. I would have loved to have seen your Dad again, he was a lovely man. As other people have said, the school was more like a family, especially in the time that I was there. One of the last trips before I left was a thank you weekend for a few of us who had worked hard arranging the christmas play. Your Dad took us in his black Range Rover to Liverpool to a christmas party, it was wonderful but I can't remember if you were there. Hope you are keeping well.

Hi Mike-S

I guess lots of pupils will remember me and I cannot remember them all, especially those who looked after me and played with me when I was 3/4 yrs old.

One of the earliest memories I have was being allowed into Mrs Jones infant class with the other children before I started at my own school and had great fun with the others.

I know she passed away a few years ago, she always sent us an Xmas card, she was a lovely lady.

I am well but Mum sadly passed away middle of May this year, she was 90.

On a lighter note,

Don't remember a Black Range Rover are you sure it wasn't a Blue Land Rover, he always had Land Rovers ?

Also vaguely remember an excellent Xmas play one year bet that was the one, I know everyone was very impressed with it that year.

What was your pub called ?

Small world isn't it, I'm sure that Dad would have loved to have seen you again.