Bents green school memories

I was at Bents Green from 1981 - 86 and some of the teachers on the list were still there when I started. I remember Mr Heward, Mrs Rowland, Mr Kirkham, Mrs Stone, Mrs Kimber and Mrs Seddon from that list. The headteacher when I was there was Norman Elliott. Other teachers I remember were Mrs Greaves (nee Godbehere), Mr Nicolson, Mrs Demengel (spelling?) Mr Crooks, Mrs Bagshaw

Edited by sjw1705

Sorry, all the names you have put together, do not ring a bell, that's bexause I left in 1947. alfred rd

For a while in 85/86 I worked in the residential house, mainly working pm shifts with the kids providing activities after school.

We took a group canoeing to Rother Valley one time-they nearly drown me but was such fun, we had fabluous snowball fights in winter and the end of term disco's were fab!

It was great being with the kids there, an honour and a priveledge to help them into adult-hood-some really good, happy memories xx

mumsy

I remember Bob Lambert the caretaker who lived in the gate lodge, and his son Paul.

Eric (cant remember his last name ) was the green keeper. He had white hair.

Harry Pope was the head gardener.

He used to have a Lambretta scooter which he kept in pristine condition.

Also there was Ian Hicks, David Barber, Pete Furnis all working in the garden nursery

I remember Bob Lambert the caretaker who lived in the gate lodge, and his son Paul.

Also there was Ian Hicks, David Barber, Pete Furnis all working in the garden nursery

The renovated school building looks good and the new extension is quite well presented but, the gate lodge now stands empty, a bit of an eyesore.

Hi, I have mentioned Mr Lambert & Mr Pope in previous posts, when were you at BGS?.

I'm currently a teacher at Bents Green and was wondering if anyone could give me their memories of the school from the past so that the kids can contrast their experiences with others. Ta:)

My Mother went there as a boarder in the early 1920s with health problems when it was Bents Green Open Air School, said she loved every minute of it, quite different from smokey Attercliffe.

Hi Mike-s

I guess I would have been there in 1965/66.

I remember after I posted another guy called Roger Haigh who was an ex pupil of Maud Max.

Hi Mike-s

I guess I would have been there in 1965/66.

I remember after I posted another guy called Roger Haigh who was an ex pupil of Maud Max.

You left the same year as I started - 1966. The 'new' school was just being built so we were still in the old house and the 'terrapin' classrooms for about six months, and now its gone!, did'nt last long did it!.

My friend Cath Sutton was a boarder pupil in the late 60s. She was a troubled kid and ran away a lot.

I'd love to hear from anyone who knew her.

I'd also like a description of the daily/weekly regime and the accommodation of that time - 66 to 70 if someone would be so kind, as I'm doing a bit of research.

Cath remembers a trip to Brid?

Can anyone point me towards photos of the place in those days?

Thanks for your indulgence

My friend Cath Sutton was a boarder pupil in the late 60s. She was a troubled kid and ran away a lot.

I'd love to hear from anyone who knew her.

I'd also like a description of the daily/weekly regime and the accommodation of that time - 66 to 70 if someone would be so kind, as I'm doing a bit of research.

Cath remembers a trip to Brid?

Can anyone point me towards photos of the place in those days?

Thanks for your indulgence

Hi, I started at BGS in 1966 and certainly remember the name Cath Sutton. The accommodation for boarders was in the old house. There is a lovely picture of the house just as it was in 66 on 'picturesheffield', it is listed as 'Bents Green Lodge' The trip to 'Brid' would near certainly have been the yearly holiday to Fraisthorpe campsite near Bridlington which was always a good laugh. I wasn't a boarder but in 66 the dining room was still in the old house whilst the 'new' part of the school was being built, and in 1971 we were given use of a lounge in the house as a common room with a tv where we watched the very first 'Emmerdale farm' which in those days was on at lunchtime!. I have listed many teachers etc previously on here, Cath may remember some of them. The new school which we watched being built in 66 has now been demolished and a new one opened last year. The old house being listed still stands but minus the conservatory to the front which was a games room. If I can help further please contact me.

Hi, I started at BGS in 1966 and certainly remember the name Cath Sutton. If I can help further please contact me.

Thanks a lot - I may well contact you with a few questions later. :)