NHS and 'urgent' mental health issues

hi if you need too talk please contact me i have depression i can understand how your feeling please dont self harm it is,nt worth it xx

earlier today phoned NHS direct as I had a severe depression episode - and they passed me onto a nurse, the nurse passed me onto the GP colaberative - i phoned the NHS direct over 2 hours ago. Severe depression with suicidal thoughts that I was trying to ignore?

Not critisising the staff but the system - it seems to try to prioritise - die now or later? Later you get onto a different department - asked the same info - ect... Less chance of help should it be needed. ect.

Edit: From the referal from NHS direct also it took a long time for the details to transfer.

Been there with you, although when I first realized I needed help I rang them, by the time they'd passed me around to different people, I went from wanting to kill myself from wanting to kill them ( IN NO WAY IS THAT INTENDED TO BE A JOKE), so it actually helped me in a weird kind of way.

Hope your feeling better now :)

Contact your GP who will get you into the community health system via a referral, they have a duty team / crisis team , but your GP would be the way to go if you are a sufferer of depression and feeling that low.

You can't get your own GP out of office hours though

earlier today phoned NHS direct as I had a severe depression episode - and they passed me onto a nurse, the nurse passed me onto the GP colaberative - i phoned the NHS direct over 2 hours ago. Severe depression with suicidal thoughts that I was trying to ignore?

Not critisising the staff but the system - it seems to try to prioritise - die now or later? Later you get onto a different department - asked the same info - ect... Less chance of help should it be needed. ect.

Edit: From the referal from NHS direct also it took a long time for the details to transfer.

Do you not have anyone you can turn to, to help you through this until those in the medical profession can help you?

does your name begin with a "j"? i think i know who you are if your the person i think you are i spoke to you on the shops last week and you told me what happened my thoughts are with you and family pm me back if it is you and we will sort something out for meeting up for a chat im near you anyway x

You can't get your own GP out of office hours though

there is 24/7/365 primary care services across the Uk, given that most GP practices use a common IT system which OOH providers and acute trusts also have access , this argument is somewhat of an empty one...

Thanks for the turn out - I'm feeling a lot better, putting up another layer as I call it.

Recieved my Citalopram and took the pill for the day, not had any thoughts of self harm - was at the time of posting clinging to sanity (last time I seriously lost that grip on sanity many years ago I went to Scotland and tried to pass to the next world) - but I now know how my mind works and how to protect it.

Thank you all for your advice, info and offers of help - it was a short time of "whap-depression" time, and I think I'm better now, it's just how the NHS dealt with it at the time which I was not impressed with.

I am back on the pills, working things out, thanks again - and all the best.

Edited by darkstardust

I'm glad that you are feeling a bit better today and well done for spotting the symptoms, asking for help and helping yourself. remember that the Samaritan's are there 24 hours a day if you need to speak to someone

Take care

Guest makapaka

I can sympathise through the experience my mum and step dad are having with my younger brother.

Very hit and miss in terms of assistance. They've been in some awful situations and rang the crisis line number they were issued with, to be met with "not really sure what to suggest" and "see how things are in the morning". Which is not helpful at 2am when he has been in some real states.

When he was finally taken into a mental health unit and subsequently granted leave from the place over the bank holiday, they confirmed he was allowed out for 6hours over the course of the weekend - which my parents used at an hour and a half for the first few days, before they then clarified it was actually 6 hours a day entitlement. He'd therefore missed the opportunity to be home the best part of the first 3 days of the weekend.

I've had depression for most of my life, as my life has been full of bad events.

I know the signs, as I have said I onion things, layer after layer, and I usually do OK.

I use the tablets short term as usualy it is only a few months I need them for - last time would have been 8 months since I asked for them. Saves wastage and NHS funds.

I phoned NHS direct as it was not at a 999 situation, samaritans for me won't work as I don't speak about my problems - hence most forms of support doesn't help me - and was helped by tablets in the morning.

Yay.

Will arange a docs apointment and see what we can sort out.

Thanks again all - it was good people help one another still, thick or thin, friends or strangers. :)

keep smiling mister!!! ;)