Sheffield City Battalion (Sheffield Pals)

Have you ever seen any information appertaining to the field ?.

If so can you remember where you saw/read it.

Glynn

I can't remember off hand, but I'll try to find it. It was with some information about airfields around Sheffield, mostly about Norton, but there was a mention of redmires as well. I'll see what I can find.

Thanks Algy,

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Glynn.

Originally posted by glynn

Thanks Algy,

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Glynn.

Hi Glynn, still can't remember where I saw it, but I've done a bit of digging in the local Studies library, and come up with the following:

"The old racecourse adjacent to the Redmires camp had, as early as 1912, been used as a landing strip by pioneer aviators. Gustav Hamel, who flew the first ever airmail (between Hendon & Windsor Castle in September 1910) arrived at Redmires from Buxton in August 1912 and spent 3 days giving exhibition flights. On Whit Tuesday 1914, Sheffield aviator Marcus Manton, then only 19 years old, gave flying demonstartions to some 8,000 spectators.

The use of Redmires airstrip as a military airfield was soon realised, and between March & October 1916, it was frequently used by 'A' Flight, No 33 Squadron, RFC, flying BE2c aircraft. No 33 Squadron had its headquarters at Gainsborough, and was established to defend the industrial areas of South Yorkshire and the north Midlands against enemy airship attack. Redmires was one of the Squadron's night landing fields. It ceased to function as an airfield during the war." This is from "From Bailey to Bailey" by S. Johnson. It's out of print but I found a copy in the Local Studies Library. There's also info about a WW1 airfield at Coal Aston, and RAF Norton in the same book. PM me if it's any interest and I'll send it, since it's not really to do with this thread. I also remember hearing a caller on Radio Sheffield telling a tale about when he was a child in the 1920's he was sent to the camp which was now a smallpox isolation hospital. One day a plane landed in the next field, and the kids who were allowed out ran to the wall to watch. The pilot, who was obviously using an old wartime map, came over and asked whether this was the Redmires Army camp, and having got the reply "No mester, it's a smallpox hospital" ran back to his plane and took off rapidly!:thumbsup:

This is a fantastic website!!

I'm currently trying to find out about my Great Grandfather Arthur Robert Brightman. It's believed that he joined the Sheffield Pals (he was a coal miner) but was tragically killed when going to the coal mine to say goodbye to his colleagues (a coal truck broke loose & killed him) This happened around March 1916. He was buried at Tinsley Park cemetry. Unfortunately I can find nothing to support this story........

Hi Algy & Glynn

I was born and grew up around Ecclesfield / Grenoside, and have for many years asked about a rumoured landing ground in the Ecclesfield area during WW1.

I think it was mentioned in a popular book a couple of decades ago called 'Action Stations' but i have not been able to find any reference to it in local forums since , and no local history groups can find any record either.

As a pilot (microlight) i want to re-kindle links with old airfield sites, especially from the WW1 era, when flying really was flying.

If ex-sites allow i want to consider visiting them with a microlight aircraft, CAA permitting of course.

Have either of you , or anyone else heard of an Ecclesfield landing ground ?

Really interesting thread. I'm currently writing a history of Sheffield from the armisitice of 1918 through to the middle of the '20s - exploring how the peace and ensuing trade depression effected the city and how its population responded. The experiences of the ex-servicemen who returned from the conflict are fascinating, and how their ideas and perspectives were shaped by the sights which they had seen and the experiences they had endured.

The reason for this post is to emphasise how powerful the memorials around Serre are, and that anyone interested should take the opportunity to visit. We did so a few weeks ago. Many Sheffielders do visit. The landscape is so quiet and desolate you get the impression nobody has visited for years - the memorial books and comments from visiting Sheffielders show otherwise.

Part of the line is preserved as a memorial wood, which was one of the copses from which the Sheffield and Accrington Lads launched their ill-fated attack. The view towards Serre is a huge ploughed field with a small cemetary in the centre - part of the the no-mans land of the Battle of the Somme. Other cemetaries close by were the final resting places of the rest of the 'lads'. There are various memorials in the wood itself, including a wooden cross built in memory of Albert Bull (I think - I'm writing from memory) who was found in 1928.

Our city memorial in Serre is in need of urgent attention. It looks slightly grimy, the inscription is fading and a small chunk of it has broken away - it would be great if we could get something sorted out. I intend to write to the council etc. The cemetaries are in perfect condition, and much thanks should go to those responisble for their upkeep.

If you're off to France try to visit Serre - the experience will be unforgettable. If anybody would like me to send them digital photos please do not hesitate to pm me.

I have been trying to find a copy of the book

"Sheffield City Battalion" ISBN 0950789275

I have scoured the Internet and put out book searches - all to no avail.

Last week I contacted the publishers Wharncliffe Books. They told me that the book is now out of print - but they would consider reprinting it if enough interest was shown.

They say that 'enough interest' is for 200 people to contact them and register with them. I mailed them again this week to ask how many people had contacted them - only 34 have registered an interest.

Hopefully there are more people out there with an interest in the Sheffield Pals who will contact Pen and Sword at

Wharncliffe Books

47 Church Street

Barnsley

South Yorkshire

S70 2AS

Tel: 01226 734555 Fax: 01226 734438

Do you have an e-mail address for them? I can think of at least half a dozen people who would buy a copy.

There are copies available second hand on the internet, but I can only find them at between £120-£300!!!!

the e-mail address to register interest in the above book is:

enquiries@pen-and-sword.co.uk

every registration counts!!

Originally posted by hector

the e-mail address to register interest in the above book is:

enquiries@pen-and-sword.co.uk

every registration counts!!

one more added! Thanks for the info.:thumbsup:

My partner had a copy of this book, and we spent an hour today searching frantically for it ... sadly no luck. One more place to check, (inlaws garage) then we give up.