Cruise ship photographer interview ..

Hi there :)

after months of graft I finally got the long awaited phone call to ask me for an interview :) its down at Southampton... the email i received today explained that the initial interview will last 2 hours and consist of me explaining why i want to be a cruise ship photographer ect. followed by me showing my work then a quiz :/ then the following 4 hours will be team role play.. does anyone know what this involves.. i figured it may be to see how my sales are but any advice would be greatly appreciated .. rather nervous tbh ...

thanks nat ....

Hi Nat

The team role play could be anything.

It most probably will not have anything to do with sales, but will be to see how you interact with people in different scenarios.

Just go into it with an open mind and be yourself.

Have fun and good luck.

Yeah it's probably some task that you'll all have to complete together - to see how well you work with people.

Be confident, not cocky, make sure you play a part in the decisions the group makes, but also listen to suggestions from others and encourage others (eg the shy ones) to get involved. AND SMILE! LOTS!

Good luck!

I would imagine that the role play will also see how you cope with customers complaining or being a general PITA, to see how you manage under pressure.

When things are going well, it is easier to keep calm and relaxed, but if things get a bit stressed, even the calmest people change the way they think and act without even realising it.

Good luck and try and enjoy it and have fun. If you are enjoying it, that should come across in a good way.

thankyou all for your advice, its really calmed my nerves. I will be confident in myself and be positive and have fun like you say :) im used to stressful situations and tricky customers so i think ill be ok then :) thankyou all again very much appreciated .. ill let you know how i get on. nat :)

Hi there,

I do the same job, but at social events on land!!

You need to be good with people, need to be able to deal with drunk people in a friendly manner when they are very annoying. They will probably set up a senario where you have to pose people who are a bit awkward, the photography bit to this isn't difficult, once you set it up, it stays the same all night, it's the people bit that you need to be good at.

My advice is, just smile, laugh along at their funny jokes and smile!!!!!!;)

thankyou susan :) thats the info i was after :) im more than used to drunken and ruff customers so thats assuring :) i will do ... just wondering how many photos shall i take down, i dont want take loads and overwhelm them and not too little to not show my skills :)

I think it will be about how well you can sell, so can you practise on a group of friends?

I would say ten to fifteen images will suffice.

Good luck,

hi every one, I went to the interview, was great :) we didnt even have a sit down interview it was all group based activities.. there was 5 of us in total, all reletivly young , the 1st task was a personality test the a quick quiz, both of these didnt count for the final decision. then we were given loo roll and told to take as many as we wanted. i took 1 the rest took loads, then we had to give a fact about our self for each sheet hahaa .. then we had to pick a icon who influances us, the 5 ppl were on a boat that was sinking and there was only 4 places on the life boat so we had to give a reason to why we should save our icon (mine was marilyn monroe ) this lasted forever got quite heated at times ... anyway muhhamed ali didnt get a place :) then we had a run through of the company ect then a island activity were we had to as a group bring life to the island by any means, so we had power tourism, food water ect then finally it was a customer service disscussion and our opinions on the best way to give it :) then they looked at our work ... i decided on about 30 images :) i took images of studio work, candid social documentery and children shots, were as the others took fine art work of macro photography ect. i find out in a few days if ive got the job so fingers crossed :) thats for your support :) x

And after all that the leggy blond with the 'come and get me look' got the job.

Life can be tough.:hihi::hihi: