New Ubuntu 11.04

just read it lol

think ill wait till 5 to sort it

thanks ken

To all those having trouble with or just not liking Unity. YOu can just change the desktop manager at login.

To all those having trouble with or just not liking Unity. YOu can just change the desktop manager at login.

People who would like to migrate to Linux from Windows would like an easy transition without having to start messing around with a desktop manager. For those who are daring enough to try something new, go for a distro with Gnome.

For those who want to have a similar feel, go for a distor with KDE (which is what I preferred starting out - but Gnome now (to me) just has the upper edge - it certainly has the best Assistive Technologies compared to KDE for those with visual or hearing or motor problems in respect of Orca. For a Win 7 look-alike (but be clear - NOT the same - Linux is not Windows and vice-versa) then give Zorin 5 - due out end of the month - until then, Zorin 4.

I'm still using openSUSE with Gnome 3, and it hasn't let me down at all. It's been utterly brilliant, and I think if I do return to Ubuntu one day, it will have to be with Gnome 3 and not Unity. I just think Unity, though nice I suppose, just isn't as good as the Gnome 3 experience, and I'm still very confused as to why they thought it a necessary development when Gnome 3 has turned out so well.

I have to keep mentioning openSUSE as I do feel it gets a little overlooked in the face of the bigger names like Fedora and Ubuntu. It's really a very easy to use and friendly distro, easily as nice to use as your Ubuntu's and Mints imho.

Well you might not have to wait long RyoHazuki - Zorin 5 is out at the end of the month with Gnome 3 and no Unity and based on Ubuntu!

Well you might not have to wait long RyoHazuki - Zorin 5 is out at the end of the month with Gnome 3 and no Unity and based on Ubuntu!

Well that is interesting. Obviously someone at Zorin felt the same as me, that Unity just isn't that great right now. Hmmm...

People who would like to migrate to Linux from Windows would like an easy transition without having to start messing around with a desktop manager. For those who are daring enough to try something new, go for a distro with Gnome.

For those who want to have a similar feel, go for a distor with KDE (which is what I preferred starting out - but Gnome now (to me) just has the upper edge - it certainly has the best Assistive Technologies compared to KDE for those with visual or hearing or motor problems in respect of Orca. For a Win 7 look-alike (but be clear - NOT the same - Linux is not Windows and vice-versa) then give Zorin 5 - due out end of the month - until then, Zorin 4.

It's a simple drop down box on the log in screen. I imagine it's as easy as selecting your username. It's most certainly easier than installing another OS.

There's even a picture.

http://scottlinux.com/2011/03/05/ubuntu-11-04-change-from-unity-to-classic-gnome/

Well that is interesting. Obviously someone at Zorin felt the same as me, that Unity just isn't that great right now. Hmmm...

:blush: Oops! right about not being Unity - wrong about Gnome 3 - still Gnome 2.x! Apparently has the same 'power' problem as Ubuntu 11.04 (i.e., release candidate of Zorini 5) on laptops.