New Ubuntu 11.04

...I don't see the point in smaller less well supported distros.

Neither did I until I used PCLinuxOS. Amazing what a passionate community can achieve. I reckon it's better than Ubuntu, but ymmv I suppose.

Except there's a new version out every 6 months & Windows didn't have a new version for about 8 years. So it's not really very much like Windows.

I couldn't be bothered installing a new version every 6 months.

Neither did I until I used PCLinuxOS. Amazing what a passionate community can achieve. I reckon it's better than Ubuntu, but ymmv I suppose.

It was PCLinuxOS that first introduced me to Linux, I must admit it is good. I have used Ubuntu for a few years now, but depending on how well I get on with unity, PCLinuxOS will be my next distro of choice.

I am still waiting to finish my download of Ubuntu 11.04, I have been averaging 56 Kb/s on a 50 Mb/s service, I guess the servers are really busy.

I couldn't be bothered installing a new version every 6 months.

Well PCLinuxOS is a rolling distro, meaning that as long as you keep it up to date you won't have to reinstall it.

I am still waiting to finish my download of Ubuntu 11.04, I have been averaging 56 Kb/s on a 50 Mb/s service, I guess the servers are really busy.

I was very lucky then. I grabbed it yesterday on our Virgin broadband at 1.2Mb/s and got it in about 15 mins. Still haven't tried it though.

Well PCLinuxOS is a rolling distro, meaning that as long as you keep it up to date you won't have to reinstall it.

I was very lucky then. I grabbed it yesterday on our Virgin broadband at 1.2Mb/s and got it in about 15 mins. Still haven't tried it though.

That is what I normally get from the Ubuntu servers, all my other speeds are normal.

I'm trying to download it now. Apparently I only have 6 more hours to wait.

I upgraded from the previous version (10.10). It took a few hours to download the new packages and install them, but it seems to be working fine. I haven't decided whether I like the new UI.

... and it's based on Mandriva!

swarfendor43

swarfendor43

Thanks for that. I would have been left wondering who had posted had you not informed us.

I've decided to cancel my download. Can't be arsed to wait 6 hours. I will try again some other time.

... and it's based on Mandriva!

Mandrake actually. ;) Even now, I believe.

Plus with smaller distros, you're not at the mercy of a parent company and the whims of executives. Look at how Suse has now been sold to Attachmate and could (potentially) end up finished. Look at the mismanagement of Mandriva and the mess it's been in. There's loads of examples. But community based distros are still with us because they are driven by a passion for the OS and for Linux, and care for the users.

It's getting like Windows now, a new version every year :)

Errr...

The whole point is that there is a new version every six months. That's what the version numbers indicate = year.month

There's one every April, then October.

So this version is 11.04 - the next will be 11.10