New Ubuntu 11.04

Has anyone managed to download the upgrade yet? All I am getting is"The server is busy" type of error. I want to see what the new Unity desktop is like on a full desktop version.

Edited by Sarkysod

I didn't realise there was a new one out, cheers for the thread. I'll go take a look.

Looks good, but I've moved to Opensuse with Gnome 3. And it's absolutely brilliant.

I like Ubuntu and I like the look of Unity, but there are a number of bugs that make it impossible for me to continue using it until they're fixed. Plus, I think Gnome 3 is better than Unity personally.

Looks good, but I've moved to Opensuse with Gnome 3. And it's absolutely brilliant.

I like Ubuntu and I like the look of Unity, but there are a number of bugs that make it impossible for me to continue using it until they're fixed. Plus, I think Gnome 3 is better than Unity personally.

Noooo! Personally (must admit I have only looked at the KDE version of Amiga Format cover DVD) can't believe the poor printer setup compared to Ubuntu 9.10 up - certainly no Canon drivers!

swarfendor43

PS Remembered somewhere that Linux Mint had overtaken Ubuntu - having visited Distrowatch today looks it is having humungous increase in daily downloads - could be why OP not getting any - also don't think you can 'update' as it is now based on 'unity' (more Mac thinking methinks!)

Edited by swarfendor43
typo/grammar

Noooo!

PS Remembered somewhere that Linux Mint had overtaken Ubuntu - having visited Distrowatch today looks it is having humungous increase in daily downloads - could be why OP not getting any - also don't think you can 'update' as it is now based on 'unity' (more Mac thinking methinks!)

Why nooo!? You mean Opensuse? What's up with that? :confused:

Mint won't overtake Ubuntu in the long run. There's a load of complaining going off on the Ubuntu forum about Unity, but they'll be back once they realise how reactionary they've been. I'm honestly amazed at the bitching going off to be honest. It's very silly.

I didn't think Distrowatch reflected downloads, only distro page hits...?

Why nooo!? You mean Opensuse? What's up with that? :confused:

Mint won't overtake Ubuntu in the long run. There's a load of complaining going off on the Ubuntu forum about Unity, but they'll be back once they realise how reactionary they've been. I'm honestly amazed at the bitching going off to be honest. It's very silly.

I didn't think Distrowatch reflected downloads, only distro page hits...?

Yes it was about OpenSuSE - SuSE was one of my favourites as I got into it (I even bought (and still have) a copy of SuSE Linux 9.3 Professional!) but left it for Ubuntu and Sabayon. For my other distro's on this PC I am thinking of putting on Zorin 5 (due out in just under a month) and Ultimate Edition 2.9 - the colour scheme of the latter takes me back to when Sabayon had a nice black and red feel to the desktop. When I have tried SuSE in the not too distant past (community version) I was disappointed on what appears to be lack of Canon drivers compared to Ubuntu. Also thinking of putting BSD on here as well.

Regarding distrowatch - that is true but some of those hits would (you would think would lead to the download page (eventually!) Latest info on popularity here

swarfendor43

Well I've been using Ubuntu since 7.04 and I've always loved it. But I think I've perhaps been unlucky with recent releases, as I've had some silly bugs that have really affected usability for me. It was a really hard decision to make to move away from it, let me tell you. I kinda thought they would fix some of the sillier bugs, but what seems to be happening is focus is being placed more on new features.

Admittedly some of the bugs aren't all Ubuntu's fault. There's a persistent Compiz bug that removes your window manager at boot that a great many have reported. This has moved into the Natty cycle. There's a newish bug that reverts the selected desktop theme from your choice to the default Gnome 2 theme at boot. This too has carried into the Natty cycle. You might think they're silly bugs, but the knock on effect is I'm having to perform quick fixes every time I boot into it to be able to use it as it's intended and as I like it. It's silly. No other distro does this.

So it was with a heavy heart that I moved to Opensuse, but luckily it has proved more than able. In fact it's been a total joy so far, with only a couple of Gnome 3 bugs that don't really spoil things at all. I'm very satisfied. I'm aware of the politics (Novell-MS, Mono etc), but I don't care. Opensuse has consistently contributed massively to Linux, and continues to do so.

And also, I think it's good to move around. Reliance on one particular type of OS is never a good thing imho. But I will admit I'll miss Ubuntu, and I've no doubt I'll be back at least for the next LTS.

Yes, nearly forgot. I was very impressed with the last release of Mandriva Spring on Amiga Format - wireless worked both in KDE (3.5) and Gnome (can't remember which version but not as old a kernel as the KDE one - perhaps that's why Mandriva have been cautious not to move to KDE 4+ - wireless dongles just don't seem to like KDE compared to Gnome. I used to like KDE for its 'Windows' familiarity factor - but I hate to admit it Gnome is the superior of the two for functionality - where KDE scores highly (for me) is K3b (which is present on Ultimate Edition) as (I haven't tried Brasero recently) K3b has that useful md5 checker in the interface before you hit the 'burn' button!

swarfendor43

I thought Mandriva had moved over to KDE4? Certainly the last one I tried had it, though that was a while ago. Mandriva's another one I used to love, especially once you'd added the PLF repos. Brilliant OS. Sad to see it flounder.

I'm still using KDE4 on my PCLinuxOS install, and I absolutely love it. It might have been tricky at first, but they really pulled it together. Gnome 3 isn't anything like as buggy as KDE4.0 was at launch, but there's still some fixing to do. I would recommend it to any user though, just be prepared for something very new. I love it. :)

I always install K3b on whatever distro I'm using despite the DE. It's just the best.

It's getting like Windows now, a new version every year :)

It's getting like Windows now, a new version every year :)

Except there's a new version out every 6 months & Windows didn't have a new version for about 8 years. So it's not really very much like Windows.

Gnome 3 looks really good, I'm looking forward to Fedora 15. I never got on well with Ubuntu & I don't see the point in smaller less well supported distros.

Edited by anywebsite

Except there's a new version out every 6 months & Windows didn't have a new version for about 8 years. So it's not really very much like Windows.

Gnome 3 looks really good, I'm looking forward to Fedora 15. I never got on well with Ubuntu & I don't see the point in smaller less well supported distros.

Well there's always going to be two camps on this viewpoint as well, some say choice is better than no choice at all and in some respect it would undermine the whole ethos of GNU/Linux - Vector Linux/Wolvix (really good on old machines with very detailed x-org configurations)/Musix to name but three!

(I like the Musix 1.04R DVD - includes video of the team behind 'Elephant's Dream' - short film made entirely on GNU/Linux.)

swarfendor43