Permission for loft conversion in council property

has anyone been succesful in getting permision from the council to have a loft conversion in a council property???????

Why would you want to spend money on a property you don't own ?

Because iv found out I'm pregnant with my 3rd child and only have 2 bedrooms and don't want to move house

Why not, if people want to improve their living standard let them, does that mean it's not worth decorating, painting, gardening, fencing, decking, etc.

Personally i have paid to have all my walls re-plastered, new skirting boards, instead of the old concrete ones, fenced the back garden and decked a section of the back garden, non of it was cheap, but it does make the property more comfortable.

Because it may well be cheaper to convert the loft, and much less stress and hassle than to move house. If OP likes their house so much that they don't want to move, then its fair enough. My mum had a £4,500 kitchen put in her council house... They did want to remove it and put a council one in as part of their better homes project, but it passed its checks :hihi:

Because it may well be cheaper to convert the loft, and much less stress and hassle than to move house. If OP likes their house so much that they don't want to move, then its fair enough. My mum had a £4,500 kitchen put in her council house... They did want to remove it and put a council one in as part of their better homes project, but it passed its checks :hihi:

Correct, pride in your home.

I lived in a council property over 20 years ago and spent over £14,000 making it nice.

People always commented how nice it was and the next person to live in it still talks about how lucky they were to get it when I left to buy my own house.

Mums house also had one of those horrid green bathroom suites when she moved in in 1997, so she had that replaced with a nice one too. However, when the council came to renovate the house in 2009, she let them put a new council one in, as hers was a little dated now.

Actually, OP, my nan did a loft conversion in her council house about 10 years ago, and she only bought it from the council 3 years ago. I'm not sure as to whether she had permission to do it or not, I will ask her.

My friend has had a loft conversion in her council house. I always thought to myself "Why", when it's not her own but really, why not? After all if she's going to live there a long time she might as well make it nice and comfortable for her and her daughter. Not sure if she had planning permission but I would guess she did.

I suppose it's the same reason that anyone in a private property does anything to it, after all, unless you've paid the mortgage off in full, it ain't yours either.

I suppose it's the same reason that anyone in a private property does anything to it, after all, unless you've paid the mortgage off in full, it ain't yours either.

I'm not sure about the logic here. Even if a house is mortgaged, a loft conversion adds value and therefore increases equity.

has anyone been succesful in getting permision from the council to have a loft conversion in a council property???????

Be very careful wazza, even if you own the property the council generally retains ownership of the loft space under the terms of the lease they grant on sale, and their permission is essential before commencing any work, because they can make you put it back to its original condition if the appropriate consents aren't sought.

You may need planning permission, building regs approval and certainly the explicit consent of the landlord (the council). I think its the office on Vicar Lane you need to make contact with in the first instance. Good luck.