Parking tickets at Ladybower Reservior

If the council are dishing out parking tickets on the basis of that little flip round sign then they need a slap.

The sign is not a clearway sign as prescribed by the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions. The council would therefore need special authorisation from the Secretary of State to use it, which the balance of probabilities says they won't have (why not just use the prescribed sign). Also there appears to be no repeater signs.

Signs do not create a restriction, they merely inform the motorist of it. Restrictions are created by Traffic Regulation Orders and I'd bet there isn't one.

This is all very true, but I believe that particular road is private. If it is the owners can have whatever signs they like and hand out whatever tickets they like.

Nowhere in the highway code does it say a solid white line means No Parking, what it does say about a solid white line is (qoute) edge line, basically to inform you where the road surface ends and the grass verge starts.

Oh yes it does. You may drop or pick people up but you cannot park.

Don't pay quite simple really they can't do nothing about it anyway.

Could this guy/girl be the thickest poster on Sheffield Forum? :confused:

This is all very true, but I believe that particular road is private. If it is the owners can have whatever signs they like and hand out whatever tickets they like.

True....If i had private land, i could put up any signs i want, i could print off parking fine tickets and hand them out to anyone who parks on my land...but it doesn't make them legally obliged to pay

That is very true as well.

Oh yes it does. You may drop or pick people up but you cannot park.

I suggest you get your Highway Code out and see page 104 Road Markings. The white line I am relating to is a white line at the edge of the road (kerb edge) not a line that runs down the centre of the road, As you state should it be solid white line running down the centre of the road, you are only allowed to pick up/drop off and not park.

What many people seem to miss is that the A6013 running past Ladybower is largely a CLEARWAY and plainly signposted at both ends of the section with a round sign, red border and red X with a dark blue background - No parking OR STOPPING!  There are also explanatory signs for those who didn't see the clearway symbol or don't know what it means that tell people only to park in marked spaces.  As soon as one car parks in an illegal spot, 50 more copy them.  Usually this leads to some very dangerous driving situations with the remaining gap being a bit tight.  As a Hope Valley resident I've seen every type of stupid and irresponsible parking around the dams, but it's getting much worse recently with the spread of "entitlement".  Park outside the boxes and you are entitled to a ticket.

1 hour ago, Ibanez2 said:

What many people seem to miss is that the A6013 running past Ladybower is largely a CLEARWAY and plainly signposted at both ends of the section with a round sign, red border and red X with a dark blue background - No parking OR STOPPING!  There are also explanatory signs for those who didn't see the clearway symbol or don't know what it means that tell people only to park in marked spaces.  As soon as one car parks in an illegal spot, 50 more copy them.  Usually this leads to some very dangerous driving situations with the remaining gap being a bit tight.  As a Hope Valley resident I've seen every type of stupid and irresponsible parking around the dams, but it's getting much worse recently with the spread of "entitlement".  Park outside the boxes and you are entitled to a ticket.

I sympathise with with our Derbyshire cousins.

Those that drive over from Sheffield and  elsewhere often act like sheep when it comes to parking.

We use the road between Sheffield and Disley every Sunday.  

On certain Sundays nobody parks on the Ladybower/Bamford Clearway on other Sundays  you have to straddle the marked median for a considerable distances. 

But rarely is it half and half i.e. one driver parks others follow.

The same behaviour occurs between between Wynnats Pass and Rushop Edge were drivers now block the footpaths and damage road edge and grass verges.

I suspect that the people who posted about this in 2011 are not particularly interested, 8 years later.

We as a country have got this backwards. When I visited Slovenia last year they have the mentality of, parking is only allowed in designated areas. If it isn’t a car park, then you’ll get a ticket. It was very straightforward and any idiot can understand. We should have the same here. If there are not signs specifically allowing for parking, then you’re not supposed to. 

Parking wardens in Derbyshire do wear green uniforms.

4 hours ago, Billam said:

Parking wardens in Derbyshire do wear green uniforms.

is that a good or a bad thing?