Car Boot Megathread 2011 - Please see first post for details of Car Boots

Did anyone make it to the King Edward VII car boot/fun day today?

I walked up the hill to Glossop Road, and it was deserted! Only on getting back, did I find there's another King Edward VII school in Crosspool.

Also, been wanting to check out Marsh Lane for the last couple of years, are there any recommended bus routes that head out that way at that time in the morning?

Love this thread btw... always bookmark the new one each year, and check it ruthlessly during the week :D

We did the same, walked up hill to find King Edwards School deserted with construction building going on, so annoying when you make such a long journey especially with a small child.

The person who advertised it should give clear information, which school it is, not to assume that everyone know that there are two king edwards schools.

Not happy at all, was thinking to complain to that phone number given for it.

Shame that the Arena car boot is being run by the same rip-off merchants who do all the ones round Leeds. I think they're responsible for Leeds-Bradford airport, Pannal near Harrogate and also the Sunday lunchtime one at Otley, and they're all a rip off. I was looking forward to going to that too but I don't expect I'll bother now.

thank you,its useful :)

Went to nearly new sale babies clothes and equipment at st Thomas Church in Crookes. It is such an inappropriate place for mothers with small children, it kind of looses the effect of being sale for children.

There were so many stairs and narrow pathways to walk so impossible to get the push pram. Not child friendly accessible at all.

But I have to thank the sale helpers ladies who were so helpful, without their help we could have not been able to do it.

I agree. The space is totally unsuitable. They wouldn't let people take their prams in. How ridiculous is that? And buyers were refused access to the toilets. Fortunately, I left my twins at home and took my 4 yr old only. If I had taken them, I wouldn't have been able to go in unless I'd been willing to leave the babes outside!

Also, the sale is split in two due to the layout of the building: clothes, shoes & accessories one side; equipment the other. You have to choose which side you want. Very frustrating for me, the avid bargain hunter!

Having said all this there were some great bargains, so worth it all the same.

Did anyone make it to the King Edward VII car boot/fun day today?

I walked up the hill to Glossop Road, and it was deserted! Only on getting back, did I find there's another King Edward VII school in Crosspool.

Also, been wanting to check out Marsh Lane for the last couple of years, are there any recommended bus routes that head out that way at that time in the morning?

Love this thread btw... always bookmark the new one each year, and check it ruthlessly during the week :D

I almost did. My poor little boy was desperate for a car boot sale (is it nature or nurture?) after his disappointment that yesterday's sale at St Thomas' church had no toys. As he was poorly, we couldn't go. I do stress that people need to give as much info as possible when advertising sales. An address is pretty basic as requirements go.... :(

Thanks for your feedback about the thread Bob.

I can't believe it's been two or three years that I've been posting this thread. I didn't realise how long it would become when I started! I'm so pleased people find it useful.

Thing is, I'm planning to leave Sheffield this year and move to the West Wales coast, so I'll no longer be car booting in these parts :(

Does anyone fancy taking over the updating of this thread? It doesn't take much now all the info is up there. I usually just update weekly and then there might be a bit more to do at the beginning & end of the season as lots of car boots start up or stop and there's a bit more updating involved.

The likes of Paces, Tesco & Hillsborough Arena are free. This is the first one to my knowledge that people (buyers) have been charged to enter the car boot. It makes you wonder how many people are willing to pay to look around a car boot. I'm not saying that it will be bad, but I'd like to see how many people do pay and how successful being charged is. So before I make an opinion I'm going to see how it goes. :)

Call me a tight arse (I'd view it as a compliment, anyway :)) but, unless I hear it's outstanding, I for one will not be driving out to Sheffield Arena when I can go more locally and not be charged entrance. It's total rubbish that there are no regular Sheffield car boots! There's Paces, Hillsborough & Tesco's that are accessible by public transport & enough interesting one offs in season to make it unlikely for there to be a car boot free weekend anytime from April through September.

I don't actually mind paying an entrance fee where it's a school or church event, say. It's when you get commercial enterprises trying to squeeze every last pip out of people. Grrr....

Metalman. That is the 2nd post where you have posted incorrect information about the organisers of the Sheffield Motorpoint Carboot. Whilst they are also the organisers of the Leeds and Bradford site they are nothing to do with Otley or Pannal. They are totally different people.

With regards to being a rip off. They have taken a huge financial risk with this carboot sale and it is costing a considerable amount of money for them to open this event. If it rains and no one turns up they still have to pay for the rent of the land. This is the same at Leeds and Bradford Airport. This is a business, but is also a service. They are well organised, and judging by Leeds and Bradford's success, Sheffield too will be a success. Whilst charging an entrance fee may not sit comfortably with some of the forum members, it is a necessity that will ensure that the carboot that Sheffield's population clearly wants, will become a regular fixture in their calendar.

NB. Before I am accused of being the organiser I will confess to being the brother of one of the organisers who has had to suffer his brother and business partner trying to get this carboot going. It has definitely been a labour of love for both of them and I am sure it will be a success....... so please give it your support and grab yourself a bargain.... or goet rid of all that junk in your attic!!

NBB There is now a facebook stie. It has only been created today but will have regular updates on it. I cant post the link as this is my first post but it can be found under Sheffield Car Boot Sale on Facebook

Many thanks

Ady

Metalman. That is the 2nd post where you have posted incorrect information about the organisers of the Sheffield Motorpoint Carboot. Whilst they are also the organisers of the Leeds and Bradford site they are nothing to do with Otley or Pannal. They are totally different people.

With regards to being a rip off. They have taken a huge financial risk with this carboot sale and it is costing a considerable amount of money for them to open this event. If it rains and no one turns up they still have to pay for the rent of the land. This is the same at Leeds and Bradford Airport. This is a business, but is also a service. They are well organised, and judging by Leeds and Bradford's success, Sheffield too will be a success. Whilst charging an entrance fee may not sit comfortably with some of the forum members, it is a necessity that will ensure that the carboot that Sheffield's population clearly wants, will become a regular fixture in their calendar.

NB. Before I am accused of being the organiser I will confess to being the brother of one of the organisers who has had to suffer his brother and business partner trying to get this carboot going. It has definitely been a labour of love for both of them and I am sure it will be a success....... so please give it your support and grab yourself a bargain.... or goet rid of all that junk in your attic!!

NBB There is now a facebook stie. It has only been created today but will have regular updates on it. I cant post the link as this is my first post but it can be found under Sheffield Car Boot Sale on Facebook

Many thanks

Ady

Thanks, Ady. I'll add the links & Facebook info when I get chance to get on my computer as it's too complicated to attempt it on my phone. I'm sure there are plenty people out there who won't mind the entrance fee. It's a personal thing, I hate being charged for parking too ;)

@ Adyw. Since I've only posted one post about the Arena car boot, you are incorrect in your first sentence.

I was under the impression that all the car boots around the Leeds area were sewn up by the same money-grabbing operation but if that's not true then I'm happy to hear otherwise. Certainly there are no free ones and by a strange coincidence they all seem to have the same entrance fee.

Personally I'm of the opinion that the organisers will rake in enough from the sellers to pay for the land rent and still have something to take home at the end of the day. If this isn't correct then why not give us some figures? What does it cost to rent the land? How many pitches will they need to have to break even? And so on. Then we'll decide if it's fair or a rip-off.

Edited by metalman

Perhaps it's a little unfair to direct all our ire about charges at the Sheffield Arena organisers. There are existing car boots that charge, such as Bakewell & Twin Oaks. I suppose if the events are well organised with good info and services such as website & Facebook page, I might object less. Most importantly I'd say is good access to the site, parking & good quality stalls. There's nothing more disheartening to go to a boot sale & find it teeming with dealers, especially those who turn up week after week selling the same, very jaded secondhand goods that have obviously had too much wear out of them already.

Well, agreed and money-grabbing organisers is the reason I won't go to Twin Oaks either. :hihi: Bakewell I will still go to as it's only 30p. And it's a quid to park at Oldcotes too, though the trade off there is that it's enormous.

On that subject though, I'm not very familiar with the Arena area, so what are the facilities for parking for buyers going to be like?