Car Boot Megathread 2011 - Please see first post for details of Car Boots

Hi,

Does anyone know what time traders need to arrive at Hollingwood carboot and also how much it is to trade?

Many thanks

Went to Owlerton last week as a buyer, would urge any sellers not to go. Hardly anyone there liek others said the 70p entrance put loads of people off. Though to be fair the standard of sellers was quite good so I with few people I had the pick of their goods!!

I walked up to Hillsborough Arena afterwards and the place was heaving!!! As a car boot should be on a sunny day, would recommend any buyer or seller to go there.

I went to Owlerton on Sunday, only because it was £4 to sell. It was really quiet. I left at 10am as I wasn't really doing anything. I agree that they shouldn't charge people to go in. They can easily make money just by charging sellers a reasonable amount to have a pitch without charging buyers as well.

At the end of the day, if buyers don't go because they are being charged then sellers won't go because there aren't any buyers. Therefore the organisers won't make any money because no one will pay to sell there. I don't think they realise the knock on effect.

I went to Owlerton on Sunday, only because it was £4 to sell. It was really quiet. I left at 10am as I wasn't really doing anything. I agree that they shouldn't charge people to go in. They can easily make money just by charging sellers a reasonable amount to have a pitch without charging buyers as well.

At the end of the day, if buyers don't go because they are being charged then sellers won't go because there aren't any buyers. Therefore the organisers won't make any money because no one will pay to sell there. I don't think they realise the knock on effect.

I agree, they've definitly not realised the knock-on effect, considering they failed at the Motorpoint arena but have not learned any lessons and adopted exactly the same strategy in a different car park. In fact, probably a worse car park considering how good the one in Hillsborough arena (just next door basically) appears to be.

I think I'm definitly going to try the one at Hillsborough arena this coming Sunday because of what I've heard on here. Although I do prefer to go to the car boots that are kind of one offs.

----Can anyone tell me if Hillsborough arena is actually Hillsborough park? Do you just enter through the car park at the side of the Wednesday ground?

You have to go in the back enterance to hillsborough arena it's in front of the club house.

I've given up on car boots now most are charging to get in sod em :hihi:

This is a long thread and the recent posts seem to be about new car boots.

Quick question:

I have family visiting me next weekend (Sunday 7th August) and they are well into them.

Can someone tell me of a long running one that will defo be on and is a good size?

Thanks in advance.

Quoting myself here. So is there not a decent car boot in Sheffield of a Sunday morning?

If everyone is stopping going cos you have to pay then great, more bargains for me

Seriously though, Marsh Lane, Oldcotes, Twin Oaks, Bakewell, i could go on, have been charging for parking or entrance for years and nobody seemed to mind. But all of a sudden, the licensing laws have been relaxed and Car boots are springing up all over the place, some of which are running as businesses and all of a sudden everyones up in arms about it. May i just say i visited the Owlerton Stadium boot and thought the quality of goods was very good, as was the Motorpoint Arena boot. I really enjoyed that one. But i have to say, the quality of the stuff at Tesco's and Hillsborough Arena (free entry ones)was akin to the old Blonk Street boot. Mostly regurgitated tat which you see week in week out. Plus its a trader bunfight, just like Marsh Lane. I suppose the old adage, you get what you pay for seems to fit here. No thanks, if i have to pay a little for better quality then so be it.

If everyone is stopping going cos you have to pay then great, more bargains for me

Seriously though, Marsh Lane, Oldcotes, Twin Oaks, Bakewell, i could go on, have been charging for parking or entrance for years and nobody seemed to mind. But all of a sudden, the licensing laws have been relaxed and Car boots are springing up all over the place, some of which are running as businesses and all of a sudden everyones up in arms about it. May i just say i visited the Owlerton Stadium boot and thought the quality of goods was very good, as was the Motorpoint Arena boot. I really enjoyed that one. But i have to say, the quality of the stuff at Tesco's and Hillsborough Arena (free entry ones)was akin to the old Blonk Street boot. Mostly regurgitated tat which you see week in week out. Plus its a trader bunfight, just like Marsh Lane. I suppose the old adage, you get what you pay for seems to fit here. No thanks, if i have to pay a little for better quality then so be it.

I agree wholeheartedly with your comments. I went to both Owlerton and Hillsborough Arena on Sunday and both were very good events. But I was fed up of hearing people at Owlerton moaning about paying to enter the car boot sale. WHY? As you quite rightly say, most car boots these days either charge customers to park or an entry fee, and nothing is said about them. You can go to any car boot these days and find tat for sale - but one man's tat is another man's treasure! And why the constant referral to Blonk Street? This was like any other car boot - one week it was good, other times not so good. :(

The next car boot at Hillsborough Arena is

Sunday 31st July

Cars £7

Vans £10

No need to book

Access for both byers and sellers 8am

http://www.hillsborougharena.co.uk

For the Hillsborough Arena car boot does a 4 x 4 car still cost £7 for entry?

For the Hillsborough Arena car boot does a 4 x 4 car still cost £7 for entry?

Yes thats fine

I agree wholeheartedly with your comments. I went to both Owlerton and Hillsborough Arena on Sunday and both were very good events. But I was fed up of hearing people at Owlerton moaning about paying to enter the car boot sale. WHY? As you quite rightly say, most car boots these days either charge customers to park or an entry fee, and nothing is said about them. You can go to any car boot these days and find tat for sale - but one man's tat is another man's treasure! And why the constant referral to Blonk Street? This was like any other car boot - one week it was good, other times not so good. :(

As you say you don't mind paying but many others do. This will put sellers like me off as there is less people. I was at Owlerton selling last week and had some great stuff which would have got snapped up at Hillsborough when I've been there before. Once you start charging people to go in its a fact I found out on Sunday many of the type of people who go to car boots want to spend as little as possible and if it costs 70p to get in this is enough to put people off. I'd gone to extra effort to borrow clothes rails from relatives to hang the branded clothes up all looking presentable but many of the people at owlerton didn't even look at the rails. Whereas in previous weeks at H Arena people have swarmed round my G-Star, Topman etc stuff. Garbage at Owlerton for sellers, I talked to many last week who won't go again. Can understand why it would be good for buyers as there isn't much competition for peoples stuff so its easier to pick up a bargain.