Super injunctions in the media

just been reading the article about Imogen Thomas from Big Brother who is the girl named in the injunction case involving a 'family man premiership player' (widely reported to be <removed, do not replace> by the way)

She was banging on about how her life has been ruined etc and how its not fair that his identity is being protected while she has been ''thrown to the lions''

Obviously the stupid girl is deluded (she must have been to go on big brother in the first place) , for thinking that this 'man' was ever going to come clean about their relationship and leave his wife for her etc.

I wonder if the identity of this player will ever come out and if his wife knows what he has been upto??

Edited by medusa
we're covered by injunctions too!

I recall a lawyer pointing out that "it isn't a law just for the rich" because a super-injunction could cost no more than a few tens of thousands of pounds.

Personally, I'd have said that anyone with £30,000 or £40,000 spare to go to court with, was rich. This is why I'd prefer a law that assumes privacy unless the newspaper can go to court and prove it should be waived.

For this discussion to take place, forum users need to be aware that for the purposes of an injunction, this forum counts as part of the media.

If you want to break an injunction in the knowledge of this, then you need to be aware that your account will be suspended as a result of it.

I'm not familiar with the terms of such an injunction.

Is it illegal to say, for instance, "I believe it was Fred Bloggs?" Or "I have seen reports that it was Fred Bloggs?"

Or is the forum just playing safe and not allowing any names to be mentioned? (Which wouldn't be an unwise move, to my mind.)

I've seen various footballers names mentioned on facebook. Each fairly likely candidates fitting the mold of a family man. So could we use the word "allegedly" before using the name?

As in "it was allegedly discodown"

The terms of the individual injunction will dictate exactly what is, and what isn't, permitted in any specific case.

In the case of the injunction named above, I don't know what the individual terms are, so we have no choice but to be careful.

Using terms such as 'rumoured to be...', 'believed to be....' and 'reported to be....' do NOT excuse the terms of an injunction which has forbidden the naming of an individual and I strongly suspect that every newspaper which tries to get away with such terms has found out the hard way at least once that it was an unwise thing to do.

We aren't prepared to go there, so please respect that.

I've seen various footballers names mentioned on facebook. Each fairly likely candidates fitting the mold of a family man. So could we use the word "allegedly" before using the name?

As in "it was allegedly discodown"

No, please see above.

The thread is about injunctions, not seeing how you can get away with breaking one.

just been reading the article about Imogen Thomas from Big Brother who is the girl named in the injunction case involving a 'family man premiership player' (widely reported to be <removed, do not replace> by the way)

She was banging on about how her life has been ruined etc and how its not fair that his identity is being protected while she has been ''thrown to the lions''

Obviously the stupid girl is deluded (she must have been to go on big brother in the first place) , for thinking that this 'man' was ever going to come clean about their relationship and leave his wife for her etc.

I wonder if the identity of this player will ever come out and if his wife knows what he has been upto??

Shes naive and stupid. What did she expect? However she isn't the first, she won't be the last

No, please see above.

The thread is about injunctions, not seeing how you can get away with breaking one.

can you say what number shirt he wears? which team he was with before he went to the one he plays for now, how many letters there are in his surname, and first name?

can you say 'the player who scored in their last game. but not the one known for fornicating with geriatrics?' can you?

I can understand why people want to get injunctions or super injunctions- obviously they have done something of which they are ashamed/embarrassed and they have the money to try to cover it up, unlike most people who are around in this country.

The rest of the world doesn't have that choice, they just have to either think before they get into bed with someone who isn't their spouse (principally about their spouse, not just about their own reputation) or brazen it out and accept that they made a mistake if they do it and get found out. It's not very pleasant, but then they could have avoided the shame in the first place if they had thought before they acted.

As for this woman, what on earth did she think was going to be the upshot of having an affair with a household name married footballer? It's hardly likely that she would be mentioned in anything other than a derogatory way, even if he left his wife for her, is it?

can you say what number shirt he wears? which team he was with before he went to the one he plays for now, how many letters there are in his surname, and first name?

The forum's rule is "nothing which might identify the person."

I don't know if the law is quite that strict. It varies from one case to the next, and in some cases it's illegal even to mention that the injunction exists, let alone who it is about!

can you say 'the player who scored in their last game. but not the one known for fornicating with geriatrics?' can you?

Enough- final warning.