Best route to Glasgow

Now be gentle with me, Im directionally challenged, and in spite of satnav, large scale maps and encouraging passengers I still get lost, in fact I've never taken the same route twice to get to the same place.

I'm shortly to drive to Glasgow (from Sheffield), the satnav tells me one route (M1, A1), Bing tells me another (M1, M62, M6) and another route planner suggests A57, M67, M6.

Which is the best with plenty of service stations to placate my over enthusiastic bladder and insatiable appetite? Thank you, please :)

The road out (sniggers).

Use the Satnav and make sure it's set to 'fastest' route (not shortest) and my TomTom always goes across the snake pass then up the M6.

Use the Satnav and make sure it's set to 'fastest' route (not shortest) and my TomTom always goes across the snake pass then up the M6.

Thanks Vantastic :)

the main cities of Scotland Glasgow and Edinburgh are easy and quite quick to reach from northern England given the high quality infrastructure that exists here. I would just look at the basic national road map and then buy an A-Z at the first garage I come to when I hit the outskirts, if I needed to find a specific house, in a specific suburb. You get to keep it as a souvenir. I love maps. Sat Nav is for lazies and is relinquishment of idea of personal choice.

I don't drive so i don't know the names of the roads we used but i do know they took us from Sheffield, past Bolton towards Blackpool. We then joined the motorway and it was one road all the way there.

My brothers face dropped when the satnav chirped up and said 'continue for xxx miles'. I can't remember how many miles it was but it took us bloody hours :hihi:

sat nav is red herring. It's for people that are so dumb, or else the educational system has failed them in some way, that they never learned how to read basic maps, which is really a very easy thing to do.

I often look at maps, just at random city maps even, can be anywhere. Windhoek, Prague, Brasilia, or Newcastle, NSW. You'll learn something new every time you read them - just so long as you know how.

Now be gentle with me, Im directionally challenged, and in spite of satnav, large scale maps and encouraging passengers I still get lost, in fact I've never taken the same route twice to get to the same place.

I'm shortly to drive to Glasgow (from Sheffield), the satnav tells me one route (M1, A1), Bing tells me another (M1, M62, M6) and another route planner suggests A57, M67, M6.

Which is the best with plenty of service stations to placate my over enthusiastic bladder and insatiable appetite? Thank you, please :)

Good god, don't take the sat nav whatever you do - they're more directionally challenged than all of us at times :roll:

I am also prone to missing the junction to turn off, even sometimes knowing if I need the North or southbound carriageway after coming out of services - I am however a master of the rat runs and quickest routes of Sheffield and it's suburbs :thumbsup: - whats more I can live all day on a grain of rice and only need a wee when highly stressed (which of course can easily happen when exiting the motorway services faced with a North/South decision) :hihi:

I haven't been much help, have I? Sorry!

Enjoy Glasgow when you get there, one place I've never been!

sat nav is red herring. It's for people that are so dumb, or else the educational system has failed them in some way, that they never learned how to read basic maps, which is really a very easy thing to do.

I often look at maps, just at random city maps even, can be anywhere. Windhoek, Prague, Brasilia, or Newcastle, NSW. You'll learn something new every time you read them - just so long as you know how.

Thanks callippo, for once you're probably right or you certainly are in my case, Im a self confessed ignoramus at least as far as map reading and directions are concerned.

However all your proselytising doesnt help me get from my front door to Caledonia unless your volunteering to do the driving.

Good god, don't take the sat nav whatever you do - they're more directionally challenged than all of us at times :roll:

I am also prone to missing the junction to turn off, even sometimes knowing if I need the North or southbound carriageway after coming out of services - I am however a master of the rat runs and quickest routes of Sheffield and it's suburbs :thumbsup: - whats more I can live all day on a grain of rice and only need a wee when highly stressed (which of course can easily happen when exiting the motorway services faced with a North/South decision) :hihi:

I haven't been much help, have I? Sorry!

Enjoy Glasgow when you get there, one place I've never been!

Thanks Draggle, I'll remember never to follow you in a convoy :hihi:

the island may be the 10th largest in the world, which means it isn't that small, but the brilliant infrastructure on it means that you are unlikely to face serious problems with navigation. Get a friggin' grip.

the island may be the 10th largest in the world, which means it isn't that small, but the brilliant infrastructure on it means that you are unlikely to face serious problems with navigation. Get a friggin' grip.

I'm trying to get a grip dipstick, hence the plea for help so I can make a rational decision rather than step into the wilderness like a lamb to the slaughter ;)