What do you think of Sheffield's black cabs?

I always get black cabs from sheffield town centre to dronfield when I go out at night.

Never had a problem (apart from once when the driver was giving me some dodgy looks and never said a word) but out of probably over 100 journeys or so theyve always been fine, drivers chatty and I feel safe using them at night.

I dont think the price is bad and funnily enough on NYE I paid about £1 less than I usually do?

I like the cabs! You can always share it with up to most four friends, which makes the fare affordable.

I've only had good experiences in the black cabs, yes they're expensive but I guess that's all with fuel going up. It's a nice change when some of them spring a conversation with you.

The car company always sent me a black cab when I was pregnant, was rather difficult to get in ! After the first few times, I did make a request to not send one. Other than that as many have already pointed out, expensive !

They are appalling and far too expensive and it wouldn't surprise me if some of the drivers didn't have a driving license, let a lone being insured or even employed by the Hackney Carriage Co

1st appallling is a harsh word...some but not all, all drivers have license's you must be insured as council do checks, no one is emplyed by the hackney carriage company, we are licensed and go by their rules and prices.

Must admit some of those drivers the council let on take the micky, they dont even speak english, which is a must...

Planes are expensive so why go on holiday???? i bet it doesnt cost them £400 to fly you some where 1 way.....

I don't think we are particulary expensive,I think it's more ph too cheap.

On the table of tarrifs thruought the country we have dropped down from 64th approx to 150th approx,this will be because we have only had a 10p increase since october 2008.The previous good increase has tidied us by to an extent.

As for the need for a partition then I would love not to have one but,alas we do get one or two mentally ill or,aggresive people in. I assure you my life is worth more than the risk.

Our trade magazines tell of numerous incedents and the vast majority happen in saloon cars ;arm round the neck,knife in the back etc.

Thank you all for your feedback, Rayggb.

ive found some black cabs (not all) go the long way round and go well under the speed limit and cost a fair bit more than private firms so i no longer use black cabs due the above reasons. i used to get black cabs every weekend after a night out in town, when i had done a lot of shopping at meadowhall coming home from the train station with suitcases etc etc but now i just call private ones as i can save up to a fiver on a journey.

Never had a problem and always use them!