What do you think of Sheffield's black cabs?

i agree with a lot of comments made, they are too expensive, you can fone a private company and save a fiver!! plus they need sat navs and its annoyng that you have to keep shouting through the glass coz they are on the fone of got radio on too loud!! i understand they have them for safety but just annoying!

Black Cabs, they are expensive and like all public transport, smell!

hey dongle,why do you keep getting a black cab from sheff To thorpe hesley when you can get a cheaper ph?. Is it because he(they) are suddenly unavailable?

hey dongle,why do you keep getting a black cab from sheff To thorpe hesley when you can get a cheaper ph?. Is it because he(they) are suddenly unavailable?

at 2.30am on a sat/sun morning its hard to get a rotherham taxi in sheffield city centre,although i do sometimes manage a city ph taxi which normally are booked thats why i use a black cab.

I was in a black cab once and the guy proceded to go and buy a kebab so I had to wait 5 mins for that, then he stopped for petrol en route. Like bus drivers, they tend to begrudge their job and are often ignorant. PH are cleaner, comfyer, much cheaper and much friendlier.

No offence to the black cab driver - i'm sure you're a good un.

Bad in traffic, good if need one, but also good at stealing mobile phones:hihi:

I have to vouch for Black Cabs in Sheffield. I've never had a problem and they have always been professional and put up with my various states of inebriation.

I generally find them fine. I dont really tip as a rule, just round up to the nearest pound if over 50p. Feel like ive paid enough.

I generally find them fine. I dont really tip as a rule, just round up to the nearest pound if over 50p. Feel like ive paid enough.

I always tip. In fact I've walked the last half mile due to running out of money and stopping the cab before I got home just so I could tip.

I'm going to make a conscious decision not to tho (easy when sober) as the difference between PH and black cabs seems to have increased ridiculously lately.

The fare home in a black cab is very often double the price I pay to get down town in a PH.

Oh, and they don't need to continually beep their horns outside the station. It's just annoying.

if you think £3 before you go anywhere is expensive then try Glasgow they charge £6 at weekends before you even get in, personally I would rather be picked up by my hubby or a friend after a night out cos I dont really trust strangers :confused:

as a cabby myself ijust like to point out a few facts to correct a few people...

1. Meter starts at 2.60 daytime and 3.10 after 8pm. It starts at this (reason being minimum wage). Same as if you'd called a plumber out locksmith etc miniumum £25 call out charge. Its there time you paying for. Imagine a plumber takes 1 hr out of his time to visit your place and then you dont want the work done, who's losing out.

2. Problem at train station is caused by the public who cant read. Drop off only free parking in the car park. Theres about 6 spaces to drop off but people park there causing congestion and tax and cars unable to get in. But i have to say the system is poor as theres only 1 way in and thats the way out.

3. There are loads of sheds (taxi's) on the road thats why after 15 years they have to be out of service. The MOT is very strict for black cabs. I personally had to get my cab resprayed due to a few rust patches on the doors.

4. Im sure half the people would'nt take the sh*t we do on a weekend when people have had a few drinks. Abuse verbally and physically, cleaning up peoples mess.

5. Black cabs are expensive, but hey you didnt have to pay over £20000 for it did you. Then pay the council over £300 every year, and insure it for you to sit in for over £2000.

6. I by myself always call PH like people say is cheaper but if theres 4,5,6 it works out a lot cheaper.

7. Mcdonalds burgers are 100% beef and it cost less than £3 go to somewhere like yankess its about £8???? It comes down to choice.

8. In any job there always a few bad apples even in the Police force.

Thanks

In the daytime, I find the black cabs to be spot on, can't fault them, most drivers from my experience have been friendly.

night time cabs on the other hand... When I do manage to get a cab, they are fine, but it's the getting of a cab that is the problem. It's not that there aren't plenty of cabs available, because there are, but unless i go to the rank, I find it extremely hard to get a cab. Put my hand out to hail one and the majority of the time they will simply drive passed. I'm not one to play cards, but I do think it is down mainly to steretypical reasons, however I don't blame them. If I was a cab driver, I too would pick and choose my customers based on pre judgements and experiences.