Can the police take my pitbike even though i wasn't riding it?

the answer must be YES as they have done it havnt they

Sorry for the ignorance, but what's a 'pitbike' and why would the police take it? I know people are mentioning insurance, but the OP didn't say why......

Hi, just wondering if the police can take a pitbike without me even riding it? I had mine took on thursday, the policeman in the car said he had seen me riding it when I wasn't because it had no chain on it and was leaking petrol from the carb.

where do you ride it then and how do you get it there?

if you ride anywhere you dont have permission or ride it on paths/roads to get there without tax mot or insurance then i'm afraid its tough luck.

Sorry for the ignorance, but what's a 'pitbike' and why would the police take it? I know people are mentioning insurance, but the OP didn't say why......

http://www.supplierlist.com/photo_images/50064/pitbike.jpg

its basically a small offroad bike. most are un registered and therefore un insured/taxed etc. however they are a right laugh to ride and its a shame theres nowhere local for the young lads to ride legally.

Thats why theres a thing called a Trailer.As long as those wheels are 8" or over off the rd your ok.

this is correct but the problem for me is i have to push my race bike down my path and onto the road in order to load it onto the trailer. techically i'm illegal but surely i'd have to have a horrible copper on a bad day to do me as it's obvious my intentions. i also believe im illegal pushing my bike over a kerb edge that isnt dropped, but might have made that up. im not sure

What does free wheel mean? Lol I was pushing it on the pavement but they said they had seen me riding it when it had no chain on?!?!?

What does free wheel mean? Lol I was pushing it on the pavement but they said they had seen me riding it when it had no chain on?!?!?
It means sitting on bike and just letting it run downhill

I noticed you said THEY more than one ouch hope you had a witness.

Unfortunatly even though the chain was removed wont count if you was free wheeling.Had it not had a engine fitted in it would be totaly wrong for them to take it off you.Make a complaint agaisnt them but looks like you might have to bite the bullet.

Edited by terminator

http://www.supplierlist.com/photo_images/50064/pitbike.jpg

its basically a small offroad bike. most are un registered and therefore un insured/taxed etc. however they are a right laugh to ride and its a shame theres nowhere local for the young lads to ride legally.

this is correct but the problem for me is i have to push my race bike down my path and onto the road in order to load it onto the trailer. techically i'm illegal but surely i'd have to have a horrible copper on a bad day to do me as it's obvious my intentions. i also believe im illegal pushing my bike over a kerb edge that isnt dropped, but might have made that up. im not sure

In theory your correct but would not expect any one to do anything if loading it up onto a trailer.Again in theory yes supposed to have dropped krurb or removable ramp but they not too bothered about that its more cars than anything else.

The copper chopper actually landed on Sky Edge field today to deal with a small quad.

I don't know if it was taken from the owner as i wasn't there myself.

The copper chopper actually landed on Sky Edge field today to deal with a small quad.

I don't know if it was taken from the owner as i wasn't there myself.

Normaly if they,ve been caught and warned before they normaly due.It will be a place open to public.Been private land is then totaly differant providing they got permision.