Dubai .Why the hell would you go there

According to you I am biased against it because it is a Muslim country

Yet I travel and enjoy frequent visits to other Muslim countries.

I have read and researched many archaic injustices to people who have been to Dubai and in MY opinion feel they only tolerate the Western visitor may be due to the money they spend there.

OR

its now mainly getting most of its attention as a tourist destination AND yes it has a few problems, just like every other place does, which need addressing, as i said before its not really any worse than other places

yet as always you turn everything into an anti muslim strike.

I do not care what yours or anyone elses religion is do you understand.

Why are you so uptight and defensive when most of us could not care less.

ooh i seem to have riled up the islamophobes....again :D

In a world of your own mate, a world of your own:loopy:

This is the dark side of Dubai. It's hosts modern-day slavery.

Its ideal for recovering alcoholics

Hardly this is place is mental for drinking, I now live and work here and I love it.

All inclusive drinks and food packages starting at 12noon (Brunch) are a way of life here, and I have seen some very drunk people, its usually these people that end up in trouble here.

Having said that its a minority that do, this is a very muliticultural city with its good and bad points, those that come here to work are generally doing it to earn more money than they would get back in there own country.

I did my tax return recently - zilch and no NI - that makes a massive difference to your take home pay.

Its not everyones cup of tea, but its a great place to live, work and party and 365 days of sun

OR

its now mainly getting most of its attention as a tourist destination AND yes it has a few problems, just like every other place does, which need addressing, as i said before its not really any worse than other places

That could apply to any country or principality - in reality you are not saying anything meaningful.

Aside from their tendency to imprison people for having prescription medicines or poppy seeds on their shirt, aside from the dependence on indentured labour, aside from imprisoning people for kissing or exchanging passionate text messages, aside from the decadence, the government corruption, aside from the autocracy, why would you go there?

The answer for lots of people seems to be to do with the income tax.

That could apply to any country or principality - in reality you are not saying anything meaningful.

exactly

Aside from their tendency to imprison people for having prescription medicines or poppy seeds on their shirt, aside from the dependence on indentured labour, aside from imprisoning people for kissing or exchanging passionate text messages, aside from the decadence, the government corruption, aside from the autocracy, why would you go there?

see you too have been sucked in by the media scare stories aswell? as ive said before what about the hundreds / thousands of brits that go there every year and DONT get into bother?

The answer for lots of people seems to be to do with the income tax.

plenty of people go there for a holiday, nothing to do with tax in that case

exactly

see you too have been sucked in by the media scare stories aswell? as ive said before what about the hundreds / thousands of brits that go there every year and DONT get into bother?

Don't assume to judge whether I've been "sucked in" any more than you have.

Are you completely missing the ethical dimension here? It's not about how safe Dubai is, but what kind of a society you are endorsing and supporting by going there.

I'm sure you were in a band at some point - did you ever consider a gig in South Africa during apartheid? - would you have done assuming you were asked to?

Would you take a package holiday to Burma?

Take a closer look at Dubai, read the good and the bad reports, read the reportage, find out just how many indentured labourers die every month in that city, and then find out where they come from and what their average lifespan is.

Then come back here and say "it's much like anywhere else".

Edited by Phanerothyme

Don't assume to judge whether I've been "sucked in" any more than you have.

Are you completely missing the ethical dimension here? It's not about how safe Dubai is, but what kind of a society you are endorsing and supporting by going there.

I'm sure you were in a band at some point - did you ever consider a gig in South Africa during apartheid? - would you have done assuming you were asked to?

Would you take a package holiday to Burma?

Take a closer look at Dubai, read the good and the bad reports, read the reportage, find out just how many indentured labourers die every month in that city, and then find out where they come from and what their average lifespan is.

oh come on its not comparable, most places in the world have "issues" dubai included, but people on here are making out its the worst place on earth, where it isnt, as i keep saying, the hundreds / thousands of brits that go on holiday and do not encounter problems are testement to that

we have our own problems with human trafficking, prostitution and drugs should we tell people not to come here??

Labourers / Maids / taxi drivers are all sending money back home to support their families in their respective countries (Phillipines, Pakistan , India, Nepal)

The biggest economy in the phillipines is people sending money back home from the Middle East.

There are people who get their passport taken off them and cant get out, but there are also many who are free to do what they want.

Its not all bad, I talk to them everyday and work with many, they work long hours, live in average conditions, but they are doing for their families.

This is the dark side of Dubai. It's hosts modern-day slavery.

Read this article all those trilling on what a wonderful place Dubai is to holiday and live in.

Read this article all those trilling on what a wonderful place Dubai is to holiday and live in.

People aren't trolling because they disagree with your opinion. Your OP detailed your dissatisfaction at how Dubai dealt with "our" citizens, the linked article details a whole host of other problems. That's a massive jump.

Come and experience the place for yourself before condemning it. Certainly don't base your life around articles you've read in The Sun.

Is Dubai perfect? No. Is it worse than a lot of other major cities? Certainly not.