Switchover Help Scheme problems

There are a couple of postings about the Digital Switchover Help Scheme, but I don't want this to get lost in the threads as it may be of use to anyone considering using the scheme.

I have been helping an elderly lady with the switchover, she finds it all confusing, and I could write a book about what has happened over the past few months... but to be as brief as possible.

Everyone at the Scheme's call centre is pleasant and helpful, but when it comes to the actual work, they seem to mainly use a company who is offering training to people and promising 8 jobs a day, but then paying them peanuts, (mentioned on various forums as from £5 to £20 a job), so the result is that half the jobs don't get done, and anything complicated gets left.

Despite explaining exactly what wanted doing, and the vulnerabilities of the lady concerned, two aerial fitters arrived and found every excuse possible not to do the job, although they found time to recommend a over priced digital recorder that the lady would never have been able to use. Then they walked out, putting us to a lot of trouble over the next 2 weeks. One of the things they demanded was written permission from Sheffield council, then for some reason they reported that it was a flat with a shared council aerial - all totally untrue.

On the next attempt, the lady waited for them to arrive, dreading what would happen this time. The appointment was between Noon and 4pm. At 5.15pm I rang the call centre, who rang the installer. He claimed he was on his way, a few minutes away. By 7pm it was going dark, he was now held up on a job where he had been for three hours, but would definitely still be coming, and was going to ring us. No call.... no visit, and a lot of tears and upset. This all brought back memories of something that happened to this lady in the past, and she just couldn't see why they were treating her this way.

So, we cancelled, got the £40 back, and had a call from a manager who took notes and said we could have a new aerial fitted but not a digital receiver, which proves it was all about money. He also claimed that we would get ripped off by ANY aerial installer in Sheffield, and said that the going rate for an aerial was between £180 and £250, IF we could get anyone to do it at all.

Step in Simon from Slaters Aerials http://www.slatersaerials.co.uk/

The lady concerned was treated with respect, charged £110 for an aerial that gets her full freeview service in an area which struggles with the signal, and was totally put at ease by Simon. Everything was fully explained and Simon even took down two old aerials from the property.

I have actually heard a number of horror stories recently of companies charging £250 for new aerials and the householders still not getting digital pictures, so it is a pleasure to be able to recommend a true gentleman and tradesman.

There are a lot of rip off merchants cashing in on the digital conversion. Some people may need a new aerial but many find that the the existing aerial is ok. Glad to hear you friend has finally received the help needed.

Not had any dealings with Slaters Aerials, so unable to comment.

I have used New Channels - 0800 019 4021 or 0114 3210703 - They fitted new aerial (old one was over 30 years old and falling down) for me and Sky for my mate. I found New Channels very helpful and efficient. About similar price for aerial as above. No way you should be paying out £250.

You are meant to get the digital receiver with the Switchover scheme, so what you have been told is wrong.

hi

I don't know if anyone else has got the freesat. but I am in a council flat and I was told I didn't need permisson? Also, is anyones freesat really bad quality? Its like really washed out and blacks are appearing as greys...