Next door's compost patch infested with rats - what can I do?

all council rat treatments are now free, it changed from being chargeable when we had the change of council and they quickly reversed the £36 charge. This is irrespective of whether you are council or private, on benefits or not on benefits. If the rats are not coming from your property just coming onto your property it is still worth having a treatment as hopefully all the nest will be killed off, rats usually have a run of 6 or 7 back gardens.

Absolutely right. Contact here :

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/environment/environmental-health/pest-control/contact

On the website it states in bold letters :Treatment for rats is Free of Charge.

One of the 1st things the Labour Council did when it regained control in May.

I feel for the rats....I used to keep rats. They are fascinating to watch. I'd be more inclined to keep the rats and poison the neighbours :hihi:

I killed one yesterday! Pickaxe on the bonce! Lil lass claimed to have been followed into the garden by this huge thing, rushed out saw it, hit it! Lol feel like a cold blooded murderer now but what the hell! Only thought afterwards that it could've jumped for my throat :@

How on earth can anyone compare Fancy Rats to wild ones? They carry wheels disease and flea's among other things! I also used to keep pet ones but will think nothing of killing one again if it's suffering like that one was! Bleeding slowly from the inside? Slow painful death.

all council rat treatments are now free, it changed from being chargeable when we had the change of council and they quickly reversed the £36 charge. This is irrespective of whether you are council or private, on benefits or not on benefits. If the rats are not coming from your property just coming onto your property it is still worth having a treatment as hopefully all the nest will be killed off, rats usually have a run of 6 or 7 back gardens.

I rang and was told I would be charged if I was not a tenant. Also. I mentioned where they come from and that they need to bait the area. I was told that they cannot do that. They will only bait my property. Just to check whilst I was writing this I rang them to check.. Yes I would have to pay if I was not a council tenant

then you were misinformed, all rat treatments are most definitely free!

the house nextdoor to me is owned by target housing, target have put in a "compost patch" (its just an excuse not to have to pay to get rid of garden waste) this patch has now made a home for rats. :gag: i have been on at target housing(3weeks) who have said someone will be out to look at the problem no one has been out and the problem is getting worse we have been out in the garden with our children to have a rat run across our garden and in to the "compost patch". will environment health help get something done sooner??

PM ME WILL COME AND SHOOT THEM NO PROBLEM NO CHARGE:thumbsup:

Yes they do charge for all services, but not rats!

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/environment/environmental-health/pest-control/domestic-pest-control

charges for other services do not differ whether council or private tenant, as pest control is not included in the tenancy agreement, but some charges do differ if people are in receipt of certain benefits.