Dogs Off Leads In Parks - The Legal Position

There you go again. Nobody said they can't exercise their dogs in the public parks.

What sensible people do is maintain control of their dogs whilst doing so. Dogs with expander leads can and do get plenty of exercise.

The idiot in Hillsborough just lets his dog off the lead to run amok especially when it chases the ducks and geese into the lake where there are small children present whilst he uses his mobile phone.

Yes, there I go again, reading what was written

Parks are for human enjoyment.

Goes on to say that dog owners cannot remove every trace of faeces. A clear implication that dogs should not be in the park at all.

There you go again, pretending that wasn't what was implied.

I have no issue with the expectation that dogs are kept under control, that may or may not include an extender lead, it may just include good recall training.

i think on the whole if your dog is not bothering anyone or dangerous then it is quite ok to leave off the lead. my problem is when i walk my dog in the park i keep mine on a lead because hes a rotty and not very friendly and the last thing i need is loose dogs coming sniffing round.

Does that mean you'll wait until it bites somebody a dog should be let off the lead?

We have 3 dogs which are often walked in parks, off lead....until we see another person then they are swiftly put on the lead. What a shame not all dog owners use 'doggie etiquette'

It's when dog owners behave in the manner of the plonker in Hillsborough Park who lets his small tan coloured spaniel terrorise the ducks and geese everyday that sensible responsible dog owners and their dogs end up suffering.

Each to their own but in almost every public space dog owners think its ok for their animal to crap anywhere. Even of those few that pick up the bulk of it most don't clean up thoroughly enough.

I'm not talking about the few working breeds or the even fewer ones of those that do work but I can see lots of arguments against members of the public keeping dogs.

I do not see that the very few arguments in favour of keeping dogs (and most are not kept well) can justify, crap and urine stains everywhere, people being attacked - even killed, single or packs of dogs roaming the streets unsupervised, dogs anywhere other than private land not on a lead. Dog owners have to prove no level of competence to keep an animal, no license, no regualr health checks for their often often uncared for and abused animals (obesity in dogs is also abuse). Dogs often stink, dribble and drool evrey and anywhere (remember they ldon't just lick their own genitals and anuses) yet people insist on taking them into public spaces and on public transport.

The argument for keeping dogs as pets is largely emotive. The arguement against is I'd argue equally emotive and far mor logical. I would like to see the compulsory sterilisation of all but working dogs and lets just fade non-working dogs out of our society altogther. We don't need them.

I agree with Blade 8t1. How would you like it if you were sat eating and a dog pooed at the side of you? The other day we were in Rother Valley and were stopped by a woman needing help. While I was bent down helping her with her shoe this dog jumped up at me putting it's muddy paws all over me. The owner smiled and said sorry. People need to be aware that despite being a pet lover I do not want your dogs jumping all over me. This is laziness on the owners part.

Each to their own but in almost every public space dog owners think its ok for their animal to crap anywhere. Even of those few that pick up the bulk of it most don't clean up thoroughly enough.

I'm not talking about the few working breeds or the even fewer ones of those that do work but I can see lots of arguments against members of the public keeping dogs.

I do not see that the very few arguments in favour of keeping dogs (and most are not kept well) can justify, crap and urine stains everywhere, people being attacked - even killed, single or packs of dogs roaming the streets unsupervised, dogs anywhere other than private land not on a lead. Dog owners have to prove no level of competence to keep an animal, no license, no regualr health checks for their often often uncared for and abused animals (obesity in dogs is also abuse). Dogs often stink, dribble and drool evrey and anywhere (remember they ldon't just lick their own genitals and anuses) yet people insist on taking them into public spaces and on public transport.

The argument for keeping dogs as pets is largely emotive. The arguement against is I'd argue equally emotive and far mor logical. I would like to see the compulsory sterilisation of all but working dogs and lets just fade non-working dogs out of our society altogther. We don't need them.

You sound hysterical, packs of dogs roaming the streets, people being killed, blah, blah.

The argument for having pets is not largely emotive, it's proven to be good for peoples mental and physical health, very good for it in fact.

I'm very glad that your in an extremely small minority with your opinion.

OMG where do you live Baghdad?? The problem here is not the toilet habits, they are an unfortunate part of dog ownership, the problem is irresponsible owners and that is not just chavs with Pitbulls, in fact it is mostly middle aged, well to do people that think its ok for dogs to do what they want. I am a dog owner and have 3 dogs, one of which is really tiny and doesn't venture out of my garden, but the other 2 do, and regularly come off the leads. I am in 100% control at all times when off the leads they will return , sit or stay under command (one is a terrier and notoriously difficult to train.) My terrier was attacked by a dog (Rottweiler) in a public area and sustained facial injuries which needed vets treatment. I never did see the owner although he was in the park at the time he was over 500 meters away and not in control. The dog in question should by law (after at least one attack) be muzzled at all times whilst out in public. However well trained you cannot stop them going to the toilet, but as long as its cleaned up then I don't see an issue. As for walking dogs off a lead, as long as there is no clear signage and you are fully in control, then you do not need a lead. Dog insurance is a must just in case your dog does cause an accident, and if it did you could be liable to costs or prosecution. If you are in any doubt or your dog has any history then muzzle and leash at all times in public.

The children, the children, oh my god won't someone please think of the children?

Good grief! Talk about alarmist claptrap.

Can't say I can remember the last time I saw a single stray dog on our road...let alone a pack...

trumanCan't say I can remember the last time I saw a single stray dog on our road...let alone a pack...

Not near me either but on some of the more run down council estates you do though not in sheffield so much.

Cyclone The argument for having pets is not largely emotive, it's proven to be good for peoples mental and physical health, very good for it in fact.

Sure they are, I do have a one word response to that statement. Toxocariasis. "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxocariasis"

But lets not forget that there has been 16 people killed by dogs in the UK since 2005 and an estimated 20-21000 people attacked a year.

Its ok though ... because dogs are good for people.

monkey104 The children, the children, oh my god won't someone please think of the children?

Good grief! Talk about alarmist claptrap.

You like me are entitled to your own opinion, unlike you I don't feel the need to attempt to belittle your comments. For me there is no convincing argument in favour of keeping dogs as pets. I regard them as being unhygenic as are many of their owners and their homes. They often stink as do many dog owners homes, but what the hell it is their home. They serve no really worthwhile purpose.

Only today whilst out walking out in Derbyshire. I saw that some ****** had let his dog run loose, it was runing around all over the place ignoring the owner trying to get it to come back, it jumped up on a child, not his, and knocked it over. Child in shock, wet and muddy, maybe hurt..it was crying, parents distressed and angry, owner said sorry... I bet that made everyone feel better. Nope no argument for me that would justify the keeping of dogs as pets. At least there is always the possiblity out there that a farmer will take exception to a loose dog and deal with it appropriately.

They could at least bringback the dog license make it worth having too, £250 a year or more. proof of recent thorough medical check up and appropriate injections, suitable 3rd party and medical insurance, must be on a lead, must be muzzled, proof the animal is trained and the owner competent to keep an animal. Wherever they are kept dogs should not be able to get out, premises to be inspected like gun-cabinets are. All strictly enforced with heavy fines and destruction of animal for non-compliance. Real dog lovers would have objection to these conditions. Only the type of people that we don't want to have dogs are really likely to object. These or similar conditions would reduce the number of irresponsible dog owners and make the place a little safer for us all.

Edited by Tommo68