Violet may records

Was it Broad Lane or Broad Street? She was fantastic, she loved what she was doing and was very good at it, a real piece of Sheffield history, RIP Violet.

Broad Street.

The shop I used to frequent was on City Road above Bernard Street, I reckon it could be about 1957.

She was a great music enthusiast as well as just selling records, when Violet died they broke the mould.

Fond memories.

Happy Days! PopT

The shop I used to frequent was on City Road above Bernard Street, I reckon it could be about 1957.

She was a great music enthusiast as well as just selling records, when Violet died they broke the mould.

Fond memories.

Happy Days! PopT

Did they play OK on your wind up phonograph, how's the dog by the way? :hihi:

Fond memories.

Happy Days! PopT

That's where she started out, PopT. I remember that shop as well. I think she moved from there to South St then to Broad St.

Violet May Records

I also went to Violet May's shop on Matilda Street a few times in the early 70's. I had heard her to be somewhat gruff with customers, so I trod carefully. The shop was very untidy and I bought one of the records lying on the floor upstairs. The record was a present for me mother, and was The Warsaw Concerto on 78 r.p.m. on Shellac. The composer was Richard Addinsell. Also acquired by me from the Aladdin's Cave were two elpees by The Hollies, Romany and Evolution priced at 1.50 each. The records were second hand by the way, still a reight bargain tho'!

Violet May's shop is an interesting topic but why start a new thread when there are older ones available? Isn't this something that is discouraged?

That's where she started out, PopT. I remember that shop as well. I think she moved from there to South St then to Broad St.

she started out on South Road Walkley selling second hand clothes

because in them days clothes were on coupons as was food 1946!

Fond memories.

Happy Days! PopT

Her shop was on Broad St just past Duke St in fact Im sure she had one on South St also.

Did they play OK on your wind up phonograph, how's the dog by the way? :hihi:

nipper the terrier

she also had a shop on Burgoyne road and one on parkhill flats and one just up from Hillsborough corner

The amount of LP's I got from Violet Mays' was incredible. Stuff you could not get anywhere else.

Bought 'From The Underworld' by The Herd from her Broad Street shop in 1967. It was a present for a girlfriend and I'd tried everywhere else. After that I went back frequently. What I liked was that if she knew your interests she would suggest other stuff or hold records for you until you next went in.