Playstation Network Outage

As well as the well publicised problems with controllers not working, the blue-ray player being faulty, and the hard-drive failing all the time, to just name a few.

None of these issues have occurred for anyone's that I personally know.

They don't seem to be any different to various issues effecting the Xbox either, which were even more widely publicised (RROD).

Can we assume you think the 360 has been a disaster aswell?

Edited by Magilla

As well as the well publicised problems with controllers not working, the blue-ray player being faulty, and the hard-drive failing all the time, to just name a few.

But the xbox has been riddled with faults too - RROD anyone?

Everyone has their preferences and people can reel off a list of faults and foibles about both. What would that achieve?

im getting fed up with this. THIS IS A PLAYSTATION THREADNOT A XBOX AND XBOX360 HAD HAS PROPBLEMS XBOX LIVE WENT DOWN FOR 2 WEEKS im not a ps3 fanboy to be honest with you ive neva played online on ps3 i got my ps3 the day network went down thats the main reason i got a ps3 to go online with but this xbox and ps3 war has got to stop in my opinion ps3 is miles better its like a full home entertaiment system thats all im saying.

im getting fed up with this. THIS IS A PLAYSTATION THREADNOT A XBOX AND XBOX360 HAD HAS PROPBLEMS XBOX LIVE WENT DOWN FOR 2 WEEKS im not a ps3 fanboy to be honest with you ive neva played online on ps3 i got my ps3 the day network went down thats the main reason i got a ps3 to go online with but this xbox and ps3 war has got to stop in my opinion ps3 is miles better its like a full home entertaiment system thats all im saying.

My Bolds.

Contradict yourself much? :hihi:

im getting fed up with this. THIS IS A PLAYSTATION THREAD NOT A XBOX AND XBOX360 HAD HAS PROPBLEMS XBOX LIVE WENT DOWN FOR 2 WEEKS.

To be fair, there isn't anything else you could realistically compare a PS3 against.

im not a ps3 fanboy to be honest with you ive neva played online on ps3 i got my ps3 the day network went down thats the main reason i got a ps3 to go online with but this xbox and ps3 war has got to stop in my opinion ps3 is miles better its like a full home entertaiment system thats all im saying.

Odd that you would want it to stop, then immediately add fuel to the fire ;)

Personally I think there's nothing in it, they're both as good as each other, neither have been a complete disaster.

Sony were warned about this. Seems like they didn't take it seriously.

None encryption of credit card/personal data is the first big no no. Especially when you are aware people are actively trying to gain access to your data.

They really must not have considered their customers at all.

Two articles from Spong which are worth a read.

The first was from February, and explained the confusion over the 'unsecure details' (caused when a hack group chat log was published) http://spong.com/feature/10110323/Opinion-PlayStation-Network-the-Credit-Card-Theft-Storm

The second discusses the latest announcement about the hack and breaks down the liklihood risks (and also whether Sony should have specualted earlier about possible data theft, even before they had any evidence) http://spong.com/feature/10110384/Opinion-PlayStation-Network-Hack-Analysis

Both are good articles about the subject, and don't take sides on the issues - just clarifies the facts and risks.

omg relax people. have you any idea how many gamers are registerd on psn. chances of your details being used will be very very slim.

omg relax people. have you any idea how many gamers are registerd on psn. chances of your details being used will be very very slim.

It's not just about that though really. As others have pointed out, to just store credit card data in a txt file is absolute lunacy. Granted users can find some solace in the fact that 70 million users data was swiped which means that the chances of them being touched are slim. Though I'll just clarify that. 70 million lots of account details were stolen. Doesn't matter how much of a bright side you look for. To not securely look after 70 million user accounts is a tad silly.

It's not just about that though really. As others have pointed out, to just store credit card data in a txt file is absolute lunacy. Granted users can find some solace in the fact that 70 million users data was swiped which means that the chances of them being touched are slim. Though I'll just clarify that. 70 million lots of account details were stolen. Doesn't matter how much of a bright side you look for. To not securely look after 70 million user accounts is a tad silly.

well it is a bit silly for not encrypting cc details, but i reckon everythings fine tbh.

I refer you to my previous post and the articles linked. The first article describes the way the card details are used. The card details will not have been on a text file, and when transmitted are done using https protocol - just as happens on shopping websites - which encrypts and transmits. The unencrypted ones that people are confused about are from a hacker chat group log, where they discussed it. However, as they were conducting their tests on custom firmware machines they would not likely have been using https to filter the transmitted data - so would not be encrypted.

The second article discussed the likelihood of any data being retrieved.

I refer you to my previous post and the articles linked. The first article describes the way the card details are used. The card details will not have been on a text file, and when transmitted are done using https protocol - just as happens on shopping websites - which encrypts and transmits. The unencrypted ones that people are confused about are from a hacker chat group log, where they discussed it. However, as they were conducting their tests on custom firmware machines they would not likely have been using https to filter the transmitted data - so would not be encrypted.

The second article discussed the likelihood of any data being retrieved.

Which will have then been unencrypted at the Sony end. HTTPS only encrypts the data transfer.

Either way the rest of the data wasn't encrypted. Email addresses and passwords can be powerful things in the wrong hands. I would definitely advise anyone who uses the same password on their email and PSN to consider a change of password.