Playstation Network Outage

Ah, a Sony fanboy has emerged. Zealot.

Oi! That's my word! :D

Ah, a Sony fanboy has emerged. Zealot.

Not at all, but since you can't dispute in anyway that your statement is nonsense, I'm glad you now see the error of your ways ;)

Not at all, but since you can't dispute in anyway that your statement is nonsense, I'm glad you now see the error of your ways ;)

Go away troll.

Go away troll.

Go away troll.

Latest I have found/seen...

Sony has finally come clean about the "external intrusion" that has caused the company to take down the PlayStation Network service, and the news is almost as bad as it can possibly get. The hackers have all your personal information, although Sony is still unsure about whether your credit card data is safe. Everything else on file when it comes to your account is in the hands of the hackers.

In other words, Sony's security has failed in a spectacular fashion, and we're just now finding out about it. In both practical and PR terms, this is a worst-case scenario.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/04/sony-admits-utter-psn-failure-your-personal-data-has-been-stolen.ars

Confirmed here on the official blog..

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/26/update-on-playstation-network-and-qriocity/

To be brutally honest I don't see how Sony can recover from this... It's a PR disaster!

Go away troll.

I'm not the one looking desperate ;)

Can you even say why you *think* the PS3 has been a "complete" disaster, or would that require too much thought?

You previously said because "of this thread", so can we assume it wasn't a disaster a couple of weeks ago, or aren't you sure about that either?

Edited by Magilla

To be brutally honest I don't see how Sony can recover from this... It's a PR disaster!

Have to agree it is a PR nightmare, no doubt it'll effect them badly, but I think they will recover.

In terms of personal information - there's not much of that that isn't already on the internet somewhere, and I don't have common passwords so they are welcome to it.

The more worrying thing is the credit card information, but from a purely selfish point of view, my credit card has fraud protection and I am insured against identity theft with my bank, so I'm not really fussed. It was a good point someone made earlier about how many parents who have used their cards to pay for stuff who will be unaware of this.

They will get their wrists slapped by the Information Commission; and as I read a comment elsewhere, this can only serve to make it stronger, it's just a shame it happened in the first place.

Should it really take this long to fix though? It's been a week now...

it's very worrying they have personal and possibly financial details. what was just an inconvenience is now a big concern. and I'm not sure really what Sony are doing about it.

I'm not the one looking desperate ;)

Can you even say why you *think* the PS3 has been a complete disaster, or would that require too much thought?

You said because "of this thread", so can we assume it wasn't a disaster a couple of weeks ago, or aren't you sure about that either?

As well as the well publicised problems with controllers not working, the blue-ray player being faulty, and the hard-drive failing all the time, to just name a few.

It's going to be a huge blow, short term, and will likely result in a hefty fine. But I can't see it affecting them too much.

People have a short memory. When the network is back online, people get back gaming, new titles will be released it won't be long before it's all forgotten.