Playstation Network Outage

Might not be back as soon as we hope :

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/23/latest-update-for-psnqriocity-services/

We sincerely regret that PlayStation Network and Qriocity services have been suspended, and we are working around the clock to bring them both back online. Our efforts to resolve this matter involve re-building our system to further strengthen our network infrastructure. Though this task is time-consuming, we decided it was worth the time necessary to provide the system with additional security.

We thank you for your patience to date and ask for a little more while we move towards completion of this project. We will continue to give you updates as they become available.

i wish they would sort psn out my nephews are doin my head in

psn keeps em quiet

Oh come on, let's not turn this thread into another fanboy-ish "my console is better than your console" thread. PSN is down at present...Live went down for 2 weeks about 2 years ago. It happens. Both consoles are good gaming platforms. Both have faults. 360 has RROD, PS3 has YLOD. I know an equal number of people who have had broken consoles from either side (I, myself, have a dead PS3 sat waiting to be sent off one day for replacement whilsy I use my new slim one).

On topic - Sony say hackers are responsible. Anonymous say it isn't them, although they admit the can't speak for all of their community. It's a shame the network is down, but you know what? I haven't been that bothered. I've seen rants elsewhere from people who wanted to spend the whole bank-holiday weekend on SOCOM or Portal online and their weekend is "ruined". Seriously? If gaming is the epicentre of your world, then you need to step back from yourself, and look what your life has become. Anyway, you can still play games - just offline only. Why not invite some real people around and get some drinks in and play games socially?

According to someone on gamefaqs.com PSN has been hacked, hence the downtime... Wouldn't happen on Xbox LIve :rolleyes:

And don't give me that schtick about PSN being "free" either, you still have to pay about double the price of an Xbox for the "privelige"

Playstation's own website stated....

An external intrusion

dated the 22nd.. http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/22/update-on-playstation-network-qriocity-services/

now they say they are re-building it and incresing security... dated the 23rd

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/23/latest-update-for-psnqriocity-services/

well it cannot have been that secure if its true, that means that it was destroyed and i ask the question, why no backup to restore??

So what Sony says is gospel is it? Some people are just too gullible.

So what Sony says is gospel is it? Some people are just too gullible.

To some people, Sony are Gods.. There are also some people who are so blindly devoted to Sony they'd buy used Khazi roll if Sony sold it to them :loopy:

well it cannot have been that secure if its true, that means that it was destroyed and i ask the question, why no backup to restore??

It's not a photograph, they are rebuilding the entire infrastructure. There has been no data loss.

Let's hope they actually invest in it. Downloads off PSN are so slow.

I love the fact that I was accused of owning an Xbox earlier. So amusing, given that I mention having two PS3 units (one broken and one working), and those who know my posts on here know I have always been a Sony consoler :)

I am a gamer - full stop. I grew out of bickering over which unit was the best back in the days of the ZX Spectrum and C64.

I am a tad disappointed at the outage - I was owning on the Tron arenas, and was getting ready for some Mortal Kombat Online action. Hey ho, I'll get chance when it is back again. Until then I'll find other things to keep me occupied.

I'm glad that Sony are taking the opportunity to use the downtime to strengthen the security, not just patch and hope it doesn't happen again.

Sony are using the "hacking group" anon as a scape goat in all of this. At least when xbox live goes down, Microsoft admit it is them without blaming phantom "hacking" groups. Disgusting behaviour.

Thing is, they haven't blamed 'Anon' over it - but have said it was an external intrusion. Anon have stated clearly that they are not responsible, but they can't speak for other hackers who may have taken up the baton (so even they say it is a possibility).

There have been glitches on PSN over the years, and Sony have held their hands up to state it was a network issue, so why are you so certain they would lie now? The simple fact it Sony have become a target of the animosity of various groups over the past year, with their removal of 'otherOS' option, and the case against Geohotz. Why is it so hard to believe that someone else has decided to 'have a go' at them?

I suppose you also believe that Microsoft create all the viruses and malware that invade PCs, just to justify their constant updates to their flawed OS?

Downloads off PSN are so slow.

I've found them very inconsistent myself. Sometimes they amaze me at how fast they go, other times it will take ages for a relatively small file to download. But, yeah, the overall consistency needs tweaking - especially on 'Update Wednesday'

That's the sole purpose I subscribed to PSN+.

My PS3 turns itself on in the night, downloads all the updates my games need then turns off again.