Practical Martial Arts

Originally posted by Lista

I dont know you mate, but i know some people that i'm sure could pull it off, and if u tried to block it, it'd break your arm.

Hi Lista,

I would be happy for anyone to try such a move. I certainly wouldn't try to block anything like that. But they would end up on the floor.

i believe everyone is wrong, lol, me included

people say high kicks are no good, i'll beat you if you use one

people say high kicks are the bomb, ill beat you if i use one.

this is what is wrong with STYLE i believe, somestyles will say kick to the head others say dont, NEVER do it,

but we as martial artists can never say i would never, i would be sure, i would do this, i would do that, because then we have already lost no matter what attack comes at us.

we must be open for ANYTHING, ANYTHING at all, we must let the battle decide what we will do in combat and every fight is different even though there will be things the same in them. i have seen many people get kodded by a head kick, i have seen many people get caught doing a head kick, the time has to be right and there will be a time when it is needed.

yes it is in the movies alot but what would you people define a kick as?does it have to be a perfect side kick?front kick?sweep? or is it hitting your attacker with anypart of your leg at any part of the movement?

tombodojoj ...

i believe there is no wrong ... and also no right ... if you hold such concepts (or anything else) as being solid / set in stone ... then you have somewhat lost fluidity and the ability to react naturally without thought to any given situation.

the kind of head kick i am talking about is where both opponents are going from a standing start (no other moves involved) ... so both are on balance ready.

i am very confident this would fail against any 'trained' person ... and i would love for anyone to try this on me ... but it's not about beating anyone or proving anything ... only finding out what works and playing with it.

from a standing start ... there are a number of counters (to a head kick) that spring to mind .....

kind regards,

Jamie

ps. I am 6 foot 3 and a bit ... and i'm not talking 'shoulder kicks' here !!!

:thumbsup:

lol, ahhh, but it is already floored then, because if you and someone did meet to try that theory out, you would know what was coming,

if it was at a standing start then you would need to be decieved i am pretty sure a capoierist would have a good chance.

but again you already have hindsight, lol :)

this is like the sparring in wicker camps muay thai, for the first 9 months or something there is no attacking to the head, so all of the students only guard thier body, (suicide) because they know they will not be hit in the head. and we all know how hard a habbit is to break when that is how you were taught from the beginning.

:-) cool site.

Did any see that Xtreme Martial Arts program recently, i missed it, but they messured the speed and force of 'spinny kicks'. All i can say is OUCH!

People whos style doesn't include kicks quite often put down or dismiss those who do, or vice versa. Both are equally as dangerous, there are always what ifs! And if a 720 spinny kick or a kick from a handstand finishes a fight then thats all there is to it.

Kind of like Light, Medium and Heavy attacks in Street Fighter, the heavy ones are obvisouly the slowest and easier to see coming, but that is not to say that they are usless, everything has its place.

fluidity and the ability to react naturally without thought to any given situation.

i like that :-)

I like that quote too.. I think were gonna get along, hehe.

Yea, ive trained with Ashley before, and met Joe.. Both sound fella's!