Tramlines 2011 Megathread - 22 - 24 July

There is so much more going to be announced, that is just some of the acts for the Sunday and a few from other areas of the festival. For all the pop fans the Saturday will be announced in the near future.

I can't wait to announce my line-up for the Saturday at the Harley :)

So Damo, let me get this straight.

If you have never heard of a band that means they are rubbish and nobody wants to see them, yet if you have heard of the band - it is because Radio 1 told you that you should like them?

I bet the hours just fly by in your company.....

Thats not what I said at all. Generally people only start to hear about a band because Radio 1 get a bee in their bonnet about one and promote them to the extreme.

Are the bands in the OP going to appeal to the generic everyday punter? Yes or No?

Thats not what I said at all. Generally people only start to hear about a band because Radio 1 get a bee in their bonnet about one and promote them to the extreme.

Are the bands in the OP going to appeal to the generic everyday punter? Yes or No?

Never listen to Radio 1 so can't comment on that.

Echo and the Bunnymen (and the acts beforehand) were very received and it was packed from mid-afternoon (Sunday). I would hazard a guess that Ash have sold way more records than Echo, so yes, it will appeal and it will be packed.

As people have already said, these are likely to be just some of the names announced for the Sunday bill. I'm sure a few boy bands and I'm a celebrity-like acts will be announced for the Saturday.

Are you going?

Never listen to Radio 1 so can't comment on that.

Echo and the Bunnymen (and the acts beforehand) were very received and it was packed from mid-afternoon (Sunday). I would hazard a guess that Ash have sold way more records than Echo, so yes, it will appeal and it will be packed.

As people have already said, these are likely to be just some of the names announced for the Sunday bill. I'm sure a few boy bands and I'm a celebrity-like acts will be announced for the Saturday.

Are you going?

I will probably be working, truth be told.

Must admit the 'acts' do sound very radio 'oney' :hihi:

Edited by Damon

Yes, that is right.

Thanks. I knew I remembered that name from somewhere.

People complaining about the inital line up about not 'knowing' who these acts are, clearly are waaaaay out of touch with the Sheffield music scene. Im not even that involved with it (last gig I went too was over a year and a half ago) and recognised half the bands listed just from reading about them on these very forums.

More will be announced as it grows closer. If I remember correctly from last year, Echo & BM werent initially announced as being part of the line up....

Eeh I remember way back when we didn't used to have a FREE festival in Sheffield. :rolleyes:

I don't want to like ALL the bands, I don't want everyone to like all the bands I like. Trying to get to see Eliza Doolittle for FREE with my seven year old mate's kid last year was a nightmare and I'm sure I'd have followed them home if it had all been like the big queue on Div Street. There are tons of other great national and local bands on in the bars and the stage near the city hall had the best of them on, on the Saturday IMO and was great to stand around along with the buskers bus,where I saw Dinosaur Pile up and EPB last year. "We've only got the wrong 'ruddy cat!" :D

Sunday wasn't as crowded main stage and it was brilliant to see Echo and the Bunnymen for FREE.

However if I don't get to see Ash this year for FREE, I will have a strop. :hihi:

Middlesbrough, which has been a FREE city festival for ten years, is charging an entry fee this year so thank your lucky stars Sheffield aren't.

As far as I'm concerned, we are dead lucky and want to say thanks to everyone who puts this on and I look forward to it!

Damo, get yourself out, you might like it!

My only sadness is that the Grapes is closed to bands this year.(I saw The Crookes there last year) - Mrs Flynn, please open it for one day!

Trying to get to see Eliza Doolittle for FREE with my seven year old mate's kid last year was a nightmare

If the mate was 7, how old was the kid?

I have heard of Ash, the rest - well cant imagine 10000 people getting that excited by them, hardly big acts are they? Has the budget been slashed this year or something?

Toddla t's big on the dance scene, hes done mixes and done shows on radio 1 quite a bit, id say that makes him big.

frankie and the heartstrings are a smaller band but getting bigger, same with the crookes.

tbh id rather see those 3 than ash

and ive just seen rolo tomassi on a site listed as hardcore punk....cool :P

Edited by melthebell

If the mate was 7, how old was the kid?

Ha, ha! Well spotted! They are from Rotherham though so I could be correct!

Hey thanks for all the posts - just a couple of quick things

We got our first line up out last year in Mid May and added our last acts on July 13th. This year we have decided to release acts a bit earlier and keep adding every week as we get more news. There will be more announcements next Thursday.

Its great for the festival as it means that we can get lots more feedback as we go along. And we want to get news out early where we can. It does mean we might get a bit less national press coverage but we thought Sheffield was busy enough last year anyways.....

Hallam FM's Saturday line up on Devonshire Green will be announced in a few weeks time and it will be good.

Of course we have had a reduction in our budgets from the council, although this was something we agreed with the council in year one. Our aim was to be fully self funded by 2013 and we are still working towards this.

However the talent budget for 2011 is the same as last years, so there should be just as many great acts to watch. Probably more as the individual venues are contributing more each year to the cost of putting the artists on.

Hope to see you all there. Please keep commenting.

x