All about Sheffield rag week

Originally posted by Martin_s

That'd be me...

As it goes, they already have contact with me as I still run the national community website but my memory only stretches back 6 years.

Rach...

GoldenFleece is referring to Pete Kirkup, I suspect, and he would be a good person to contact if you have a spare week handy :)

is he that difficult to get hold of? I'll see if I can get one of my raggies onto it, I think it would be even more difficult for me to get hold of him from over here.

Cheers martin xxxx

Originally posted by jest265

is he that difficult to get hold of? I'll see if I can get one of my raggies onto it, I think it would be even more difficult for me to get hold of him from over here.

Cheers martin xxxx

Not so much difficult to get hold of... Just that full of information you'll need a week to get it all :)

My Uncle once told me that Sheffield Rag Week used to be dead famous and that people used to come from all over the country for a night out in Sheffield. I'm pretty sure it doesn't take place any more though. Just wondered whether anyone knows when and why it stopped and also what used to happen, why it is so called, who used to take part, whether it might start up again etc etc. Cheers.

All I can remember is the Uni agreeing to cancel it due to dangers of having too much alchol. And west street now having supertram, on the last year of the end of rag week they cut the power to supertram on west Strret due to possible danager of spiderman students..

I can't recall the year, but James Fisher, the naturalist, claimed the island of Rockall for Britain by landing and hoisting the flag. So we claimed the traffic islands at the roundabouts by sending camping parties to them on the Friday night.

Unfortunately, my copies of "Twikker" are now lost. They'd probably get me into trouble now, anyway.

Does anyone shout "IckyMalayyo!" (never saw it spelt) these days

I have heard Chris Tarrant telling the tale about when he fell in the River Don, I can only assume it was during the aforementioned boat race which took place on Saturday afternoon.

I know celebrities have their 'price' but might he as a former student of the University of Sheffield be prepared to relate this story or even provide a 'Forward' for 'The Twikker'?

In years gone by, the Rag Day was usually at the beginning of November.

Nothing to do with Rag Week, but in Sheffield during the war there used to be a 12-mile walk which attracted some of the best walkers in the country. It covered several steep hills going towards Shiregreen and I think it was organised by the Sheffield Star. It took place at Easter and could still be a good fund-raiser. I seem to remember also that at least once there was a marathon from Doncaster to Sheffield which again attracted the country’s best marathon runners. Just idea, but if you’re looking to raise funds, why not think about ’em?

I arrived in Canada in October 1967 and lived with my Aunt who had been here since 1927. I brought along a copy of the 1967 "Twikker". She was in stitches reading it and I never did get it back.

I heard that they kidnapped Arthur Scargill one year, and took him to Radio Sheffield where he hosted the show for a while. Meantime the Raggies demanded money for his return. Apparently the NUM offered a large sum for them to keep him...

I left Twikker in rude health in 1991. It was one of the filthiest in years. The student union vetted it but ignored several pages of smut we had included purely to give them something to censor. The SU President said that if anyone asked, he hadn't seen those pages, right?

God, don't get me started on Rag history - what do you want to know?

Painting a zebra crossing on the M1 (with belisha beacons)?

Holding a 'Twikkere' (sic - intended 'French' spelling of Twikker) banner in front of the Concorde prototype?

The great Rag Mag ban of 1987?

The Puke Book?

Organising a gig with thoughtful singer-songwriter Jennifer 'Single Bass' Moore supporting riotous bikers Dumpy's Rusty Nuts? I'm not sure Jennifer has recovered from the trauma...

Ewen (1987-1991)

I left Twikker in rude health in 1991. It was one of the filthiest in years. The student union vetted it but ignored several pages of smut we had included purely to give them something to censor. The SU President said that if anyone asked, he hadn't seen those pages, right?

Perhaps one such joke involved the lady who took a pair of panties back to a city-centre store and said to the assistant: "These panties don't seem to fit but I might have been putting them on the wrong way round"

Came the reply: "Well madam, they are clearly marked C&A!"

err... no.

I think it was the cartoon with the man masturbating and speech baloons giving his sperms' responses to being ejected onto a kleenex ('Where am I?' 'Hang on, this isn't the egg!' 'I'm dying' etc)

The only censored joke was taken out by McMillan Graham themselves:

'Daddy, what does 'perverted' mean?'

And if you don't want to know the answer, look away now....

'Shut up and keep sucking.'