All about Sheffield rag week

44 minutes ago, Pkingy said:

Anybody remember the boat race? Think it was part of students rag week. Come to think of it anyone remember rag week seem to remember it was all done for charity

I seem to remember some odd but funny boats trying to make their way down the Don. I think we used to stand on Hillfoot bridge to watch. That was probably in the 70's. Fairly sure that was part of rag week.

Yes, 60s into 70s.  Boats based on  anything that would float, oil drums, lorry inner tubes, pallets, etc. Students dressed up in outlandish costumes going round with collection tins, for charities, I think.

I used to take my son to the rag parade every year. We used to stand in the wicker  the atmosphere was brilliant. The rag "Fairy",  the biggest and hairiest man they could find, I think led the parade I could be wrong on that.  I always bought a Twikker and the boat race was hilarious.  Good times. All for charity. I don't know why it stopped.. I also used to go and see the Lord Mayors Parade, is that still going? I fear another piece of our city heritage confined to the history books.

I remember Rag Week from my mis spent youth. Every pub and club was invaded by outrageously dressed students shaking charity buckets. No trouble, a lot alcohol and fun. Twitter mag was a bit lame but we bought it ‘for charity’. Happy days 

I don't know if this link has ever been posted but here's 17 min clip of the 1967 Sheffield Student Rag / Boat Race fom the British Film Institute archives. 

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-sheffield-student-rag-week-1967-1967-online

Enjoy reminiscing.   Just look at the crowds.

Don't think you'd get anything like it now?   Health & Safety, to say the least. 

Edited by Baron99

16 hours ago, catmiss said:

I remember Rag Week from my mis spent youth. Every pub and club was invaded by outrageously dressed students shaking charity buckets. No trouble, a lot alcohol and fun. Twitter mag was a bit lame but we bought it ‘for charity’. Happy days 

Me too. I was one of those students selling the mag. I think it was called 'Twicker' though.

Watched the film brilliant memories. Thank you Baron99.

Newspaper in film dated 23 October, 1967.