All about Sheffield rag week

My favourite joke from the rag mag goes something like this:-

Tracey walks into the union bar with her new pet newt on her shoulder.

Dave: He's cute, what do you call him?

Tracey: Tiny.

Dave: Why do you call him that?

Tracey: Because he's my-newt. *laughs*

Later in the union bar.

Dave: I saw Tracey with her pet newt earlier.

Steve: Oh really, what does she call it?

Dave: Tiny.

Steve: Why does she call it that?

Dave: Because it's her newt.

Steve: *blank expression*

Dave: I didn't get it either.

I think that's how it goes, it's been over 30 years since I read it. I can't remember the actual names in the printed joke, but I always suspected they were members of the Rag Committee at that time.

---------- Post added 22-04-2014 at 15:32 ----------

I used to love watching the Rag Parade as a kid, it always seemed to be well attended by the people of Sheffield. My over riding memory though, is of lots of very hairy men dressed as women and fairies and they smelled bad.( I'm guessing they smelled that way, because it was the tail end of the hippy era, when washing your body was uncool or so it seemed.)

I completed the Boat race in 1978 I think; all I can remember is that it was really cold that day and we were given a tot of rum at the end.

I also helped to build one of the floats in either 1979 or 1980 when the theme was movies; our float was called Mutiny on the Mars Bar.

The Spider Walk at that time started at Midnight on Saturday after having a few drinks in the Union Bar and finished (twice for me anyway) some time in the middle of Sunday afternoon.

The Pyjama Party was fantastic - at that time it was held at Top Rank or Steelys (subsequently called Roxys) and you couldn't get in if you weren't wearing a nightie (men) or pyjmas or something more revealing (women).

Good times

Perhaps one such joke involved the lady who took a pair of panties back to a city-centre store and said to the assistant: "These panties don't seem to fit but I might have been putting them on the wrong way round"

Came the reply: "Well madam, they are clearly marked C&A!"

Beat that one !

Way back in the early fifties there were Fig trees growing on the banks of the River Don on the Oughtibridge side of bridge on Leppings Lane.

As kids we used to watch them until they ripened so we could eat them.

I would think the nearest hot water into the river would be from the forge in Beeley Woods.

Happy Days! PopT

---------- Post added 10-05-2014 at 19:52 ----------

I have just noticed there is an advert attached to the word kids in my last posting above.

Where did this come from?

Whoever put it on please remove.

Hi all

Just found this on Facebook!!

It's a film about Sheffield Rag week back in 1967!! I found it very interesting!! :thumbsup:

Rag week Video

Biggsy :)

Anybody recognise themselves, or relatives?!

Yes I remember it well especially the boat race I still have a copy of the twikker

really enjoyed watching the film.

Edited by allwednesday

The best part of the 'Rag' was the Boat Race held in the afternoon after the procession in the morning. It used to run from Hillfoot Bridge to Lady's Bridge and the students used to make their own boats (more like rafts).

Don't suppose it would be allowed now on Health and Safety grounds, me and my mates didn't used to help with that - we'd drop fireworks on the students as they passed under the bridges!

Here's the boat race from 1967 and lots more about the Rag Week:

http://player.bfi.org.uk/film/watch-sheffield-student-rag-week-1967-1967/

Why did it stop?

I think it would have been Joe and Graham Shaw in 1961. Before Bernard's time.

Not really before Bernard's 'time' Jim but before his 'United time' and Graham and Joe were not related but Bernard was Graham's younger brother, both from Southey Green I think ?

Anybody remember the boat race? Think it was part of students rag week. Come to think of it anyone remember rag week seem to remember it was all done for charity