Would you buy a house without relevant building regs?

I am in the process of buying a house and it has come to our attention that the loft in the property doesn't have the necessary building regs, it looks to be done to a high standard but obviously its a risk to proceed.

Would you take the risk and go ahead with the purchase or pull out and go elsewhere?

will your morgage allow you to bye without regs?

I am in the process of buying a house and it has come to our attention that the loft in the property doesn't have the necessary building regs, it looks to be done to a high standard but obviously its a risk to proceed.

Would you take the risk and go ahead with the purchase or pull out and go elsewhere?

No chance at all.

Forget it.

Don't be daft.

You could find yourself in expensive hot water.

ask the seller to apply for retrospective permission if they really want to sell then no doubt they will.

My advice would be NO unless its considerably cheaper than you'd expect to pay.

I bought a terraced house in Crookes 20years ago, it had had a new roof but the person who'd done hadn't got building regs approval. I tried to get retrospective permission after I'd bought it. It was painful. Still sold it for a 40% profit two years later.

No don't touch it without building regs, if you really want the house get them to obtain the regs for you before purchase.

Building regs change all the time, most of the loft conversion in Walkley won't have building regs approval as they were done 50 years ago. It's not the same as planning permission.

I bought my house without, similar problem, actually it already had an attic which was extended into the eves and a bathroom put in without building regs well before I bought it. They are not legally enforceable after a year, so if it was done more than a year ago you can't be fined, or made to correct it. The council can issue a letter to the effect that they have no intention to enforce...job done.

Get your surveyor to have a look. If the work is safe (proper supports etc) you have little to worry about. My surveyor had a look and said there was about 5cm too little head room above the toilet in the en-suite pretty much the only problem.

AFAIK estate agents will not sell a house with an attic conversion as a 'bedroom' without it conforming to current regs, that is not to say that the conversion was not totally fine when it was done before the building regs law even existed.

My advice would be NO unless its considerably cheaper than you'd expect to pay.

I bought a terraced house in Crookes 20years ago, it had had a new roof but the person who'd done hadn't got building regs approval. I tried to get retrospective permission after I'd bought it. It was painful. Still sold it for a 40% profit two years later.

What building regs were in existence for new roofs in 1991?

What building regs were in existence for new roofs in 1991?

The replacement covering was supposedly heavier (concrete tiles rather than slates). I'll try and remember the name of the cowboy who did it if you like?

The replacement covering was supposedly heavier (concrete tiles rather than slates). I'll try and remember the name of the cowboy who did it if you like?

I'm in no doubt that it was not a good idea and probably a shoddy job but it was a serious question. :) I was 8 at the time. I had been told that all these regulations for roofs, electrics, extensions etc were brought in under Labour post 1997.