Music shop on Leopold Street ..

It was called Wilson Pecks. My father went in there for a small tin of gramaphone needles and came out with a minipiano! The manager was a Mr Fair. They sold pianos and almost everything for classical music. The piano selling part of the business eventually moved to somewhere on the road leading to Hunters Bar. I used to have violin lessons in the top floor of the building from Mr. Eric Watson late of the Hallé Orchestra.

Hi. Remember sneaking out of school at lunchtime to go to Wilson Pecks to buy tickets to see Beatles at City Hall. On way back to King Teds got caught by a teacher and spent several hours in detention.

They also sold tickets for "City Hall" Concerts

I wagged school to get tickets for the Slade concert (and got caught out).

Does anyone remember the Banjo/Ukulele on display with a big notice underneath saying “no plonkers”?

Hi. Remember sneaking out of school at lunchtime to go to Wilson Pecks to buy tickets to see Beatles at City Hall. On way back to King Teds got caught by a teacher and spent several hours in detention.

Same thing, different era. I also went to “King Teds”. My punishment was to clean the Chemistry class room out. It took me less than an hour. I think I got off light compared to you.

hiya sorry i don't understand your reply what has 3x six and eight got to do with my post, what i said was 51 years agoi a record was 6s 11d and 50 years later a cd with the same singers playing 10 songs cost me 1 pound decimal

I didn't understand that either as you bought a single for 6/11p and CD which is equivalent of LP for £1. If I remember correctly an LP would have been 32/6 back then which is just over £1.60 today so think other poster should learn to read better:hihi::hihi:

Canns used to be at the top of Dixon Lane, at least in my day. 50s/60s. I bought my first trumpet from there. 17 guineas.

I went to work at Canns right after I left school in 1954.On Dixon Lane .We used to call it Phillip Cann the music man.Worked in the record dept.

Then, you have first hand knowledge. I only remember the Dixon Lane location. But, I don't think it was ever on the Moor as someone has suggested, was it?

I worked at Canns in the record dept 1955 to 1957 on Dixon Lane.The record dept was always busy.Miss Hinch was one of the ones in charge and I remember when Elvis Presleys Heartbreak Hotel came in (the demos used to come in weekly and she used to listen to them in the soundproof booths prior to ordering)she declared it a bunch of rubbish and didnt order any.A week later almost every person that came in were looking for that record and she had a long time trying to live that one down.

I worked at Canns in the record dept 1955 to 1957 on Dixon Lane.The record dept was always busy.Miss Hinch was one of the ones in charge and I remember when Elvis Presleys Heartbreak Hotel came in (the demos used to come in weekly and she used to listen to them in the soundproof booths prior to ordering)she declared it a bunch of rubbish and didnt order any.A week later almost every person that came in were looking for that record and she had a long time trying to live that one down.

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi: