Should women who choose too / cannot have kids be granted 9 months off?

On a similar note can males be grumpy for a few days every month
Youve been getting away with that here for at least two years! ;)

Just been discussing this at work- it seems unfair on those who would like to have kids but cant, or people who choose not to have kids- that they do not get the 9 months off work and still have a job to return too.

Looking after a baby 24/7 is still work.

Maybe they have other interests outside of work that they would like to pursue but cant because they have to be in work or loose their job?

Most places I have worked would allow a sabbatical to do exactly that if you arrange it well in advance.

Indeed, but with certain exceptions - maternity leave is still available to mothers who intend to hire full-time help and not lift so much as a finger to look after the baby. And, sadly, I've known some.

Oh, if people want to take 9 months 'off' to care for whose every need they must cater for, but pay someone else to do it our of their own pocket I don't see a problem.

A typically ridiculous thread from Sheffield Forum and Brunette answers it perfectly. Work and employment are two different things. A 'holiday' to continue the human race is more important than 9 months to fart about. I do wonder how some people's minds work.

I'm still trying to work out if this is a serious thread or not. If its serious and women are actually thinking things like this its not going to be long before they are unemployable

Maternity leave is an incentive to get mothers back to work in my opinion. If your only option was to quit your job when you had your baby you'd end up in the benefits system, the birth rate would go down (perhaps not a bad thing) but then termination rates might go up.

Its like when people whinge at teachers for getting so many more holidays that others. Yeah life isn't fair. Some people make better choices than others.

Why don't you just get totally realistic and suggest equal distribution of wealth and land?

And, actually, some employers do offer sabaticals. John Lewis being one.

No, what a completely stupid thread. Besides as others have said, many employers will offer sabbatical leave for someone to pursue something worthwhile and will hold their job for them. I say this as a childless female - I can honestly say I've never felt any animosity towards someone going off on maternity or paternity leave.

Why 9 months anyway? Some people take 12 months, some people are back at work after a few weeks.

I can reassure you discodown us women are not all crazy!

I think that whoever thinks maternity leave is "9 months off work" has never had a baby!

So if you want to swap your job for a 24 hour a day job of looking after someone who can't communicate their needs, screams a lot, doesn't let you get a full nights sleep, creates more laundry than you'd ever believe, and who relies on you solely for all their personal needs from food to bum cleaning, then yeah - why not!

Actually - it's a brilliant idea. Anyone who doesn't have children should absolutely have the right to 9 months "off" work - during which time they must take sole responsibility for someone who needs the help. Maybe a severely disabled person, maybe a very elderly person, or they could adopt/foster (for which you can already have time off work like maternity leave). Top idea. Congrats!

Two obvious flaws in your argument. One is that having kids is a choice so if you don't like doing any of the above don't have any. The other is that the world is massively overpopulated so why should women be rewarded for bringing more unnecessary kids into the world?

Maybe they have other interests outside of work that they would like to pursue but cant because they have to be in work or loose their job?

You could request a leave of absence.

woooah didnt realise this would cause offence it was just a hypothetical question that I though would get some interesting responses- some of ya need to chill out!!!:)

I think its correct that they are entitled to the time off- however, i also think its about time this law is also applied to the male of the couple so they could split the time off they are entitled to.

The law has been changed as of this month. So now women can take the first 6 months of maternity leave, and their husbands/partners can take the second 6 months.