Waited ages for hospital treatment?

What is it exactly that you think should happen to improve things? Or indeed what is it that you think A&E staff are doing back there whilst you're just left twiddling your thumbs for 4 hours?

The truth of the matter is, there are a lot of time wasters coming in to A&E. Similarly, far too many people use the service inappropriately rather than going to minor injuries, walk in centre or just wait to see their GP. In addition to these people are the genuine victims of accidents or emergencies whose lives and limbs might be seriously compromised. A&E staff and medical/nursing staff in general are stretched well beyond their means at the moment with government plans to make us do a great deal more with far less resources. Staff routinely go without lunchbreaks or toilet stops because it is just so busy. We realise how frustrating and boring it can be to be left in a waiting room but it simply cannot be avoided when the sheer volume of people waiting to be seen have to be prioritised accordingy.

Maybe if people took a little more time to consider where best to go for treatment and a little less time slagging off the NHS, the situation would improve!

this, agree totally with Hellybelly

Went to Northern General A&E last night - was referred by the Walk In Centre on Broad Street (Lane?). I was told I would be waiting 90 minutes and seen in less time than that? I'm not a regular (far from it) but I have waited for over three hours before only to be told there was nothing that could be done for me. Yes it can be fustrating but It's not like you go for a day out now is it? You go for medical attention and each case is judged on it's severity. At the end of the day, if you're in need of urgent attention you will get it.

The people who work in A&E departments have a hard enough job as it is without being criticised over this kind of thing!

I would just like to thank the doctor who I saw, he was excellent. There's almost no chance he'll read this, but if he does, thank you.

I had a allergic reaction to some pain killers last year and took myself to the walk in place at the hallamshire as I was close by they sent me to the northen in an ambulance. Altogether it took 8 hours but I was well cared for by everybody. The only people who moaned were my 2 kids even then they didnt moan that much.

They do a hard job made even harder by people think they should be put first and complain if somebody who is in need of more urgent attention is seen before them.

what he said^^^^

on my only trip to A&E in an ambulance, i was met by a full medical team on arrival at the hospital, assessed, x-rayed, assessed again, x-rayed again and then prepped for surgery and straight in to theatre. all within about 45 mins of arriving.

but then my injury was potentially life threatening and was definitely limb threatening. i imagine there were some pretty miffed people with sprained ankles and bumps on their heads in the waiting room, after they saw me getting wheeled straight in to see a doctor before them.

orderly queues dont exist in hosptals. the nearer to death you are the faster you will get seen to.

Similar experience to what I had last year when I took ill.

I was carted to the hospital by the fabulous ambulance crew, straight into rescus, with the tabs on my chest, connected to the monitor...

The wonderful A&E staff then got me sorted, and up onto the ward.

I was looked after by fantastic staff for the few days it took to arrange the pacemaker surgery I needed, I had the surgery, and was allowed home a couple of days after that.

Bish-bash-bosh. No quibbles about how well each team looked after me, from the paramedics, to A&E, to the staff on the wards, and the surgeons who operated.

Totally fantastic, the lot of them