My gran used to get it for her dog. I know it WAS for the dog I used to feed him!! Didn't think anything about it at the time ( I was only very young!) but would not be too fussed about doing it now.

There used to be a horse meat shop at Darnall just about where the T.S.B. bank is now, I was once climbing on his windowsill and pulled his shutters off, He came out and gave me a thick ear.

Did it taste good? Did you go back for the other one?:gag::gag:

Am I wrong in thinking this thread is second time around

think it is

Still available today at any good Tescos....:gag::gag::hihi:

Shouldn't that be Teschevaux ?

---------- Post added 17-01-2013 at 16:28 ----------

There is a sequence in the Film "1945, Germany Anno Null", where a horse drops dead in a Berlin street and the women rush out to butcher it whilst it was still warm.

I can remember over 50years ago at a fishmongers in Sussex , who sold whale meat ,cut into joint like pieces and this was very dark in colour

did anyone ever see this for sale in Sheffiels?

No, but it was for sale in Sheffield just after the war - whale meat. Still eaten in Iceland. When I moved to Newfoundland in the early 70s, some stores had whale meat for sale. It was called "arctic steak."

Does anyone remember the horse meat butchers in Attercliffe? It was next to the Tram Car Pub at the top of Clay Street.

Does anyone remember the horse meat butchers in Attercliffe? It was next to the Tram Car Pub at the top of Clay Street.
That would have been Woodrow's - here is a scan from a 1954 directory. Ten years later there was only Thomas's on Hereford Street left - this must have closed around 1971-72.

I suppose horse meat is healthy enough but I'd have to be pretty hungry to try it. Maybe hungry enough to eat a horse....;)

I remember a horse meat shop just before you got to the old rag and tag market it was at the bottom of the same road as the Penny Black,just before the bridge over commercial street.

I can remember over 50years ago at a fishmongers in Sussex , who sold whale meat ,cut into joint like pieces and this was very dark in colour

did anyone ever see this for sale in Sheffiels?

It inspired Vera Lynn to record the song 'Whalemeat Again'.

I heard you have to be carefull about eating Whalemeat as it contains 100% SEAHORSE.

There used to be a horsemeat Butchers on Scotland Street in the 50's. Most of his customers were buying the meat for their dos's, or so they said.