Best roast pork sandwich shop ?

It's the row of shops behind Eccy Road, starting at Hunter's Bar and going townwards.

Roney's is on Sharrow Vale Road, on the corner of Hickmott Road, if you want to look that up on an online map.

oh right i think i know where you mean now:)

After a walk past yesterday, I think the Chesterfield road shop I referred to might be next door but one to Wendys dog salon, it has a black sign I do believe :) Still didnt take in the name though :hihi:

I was of course talking absolute nonsense here... It is next door to wendys, Mr B's, fantastic!!

I am going back to the 80s now but the one i remember was Carneys on South st Walkley at that time i drove for the council at the Northfield rd depot and it was a regular shopping list for the lads in the yard. Dipped bread cakes in dripping, salt added thick pork cut from the joint crackling, stuffing and apple sauce in other words "The full monty" good job we wore safety boots just in case you ever dropped one on your foot one was enough for any mortal apart from one hungry nosed B who shall remain nameless who always ordered 3 i think he passed away quite a few years ago and was taken to the service by low loader the other thing was they were always pipeing HOT now i have gone and made myself hungry HAPPY DAYS.

I am going back to the 80s now but the one i remember was Carneys on South st Walkley at that time i drove for the council at the Northfield rd depot and it was a regular shopping list for the lads in the yard. Dipped bread cakes in dripping, salt added thick pork cut from the joint crackling, stuffing and apple sauce in other words "The full monty" good job we wore safety boots just in case you ever dropped one on your foot one was enough for any mortal apart from one hungry nosed B who shall remain nameless who always ordered 3 i think he passed away quite a few years ago and was taken to the service by low loader the other thing was they were always pipeing HOT now i have gone and made myself hungry HAPPY DAYS.

great story Jack..Never seems the same nowdays, Iremember the old butcher or Lady dishing up..Cuts the roll and dips it. Then the pork cut as you wait..stuffing and a nice piece of crackling..Does it still exist...Didnt see it last time I was there... 2006

Yes, Keith Carny really did make the best pork sarnies,big and heavy and Keith could always tell a good story.

Having read all the contributions about the roast pork and savoury ducks you wonder if it would be nice to return to the old days of food like that, food that you really enjoyed, not like some piece of plastic. About the savoury ducks I believe I was once told they contained haslet.

It also took me back to my schoolboy days in Atterliffe. On Attercliffe Common opposite the Burial Ground was a herbalist who sold delicious sarsaparilla and liquorice stick - it was not liquorice it was a kind of wood you shredded with you teeth, and next door was a pie and pea shop run by Sid - they were all called Sid - You could have pie and peas sitting down at a table indoors with gravy and relish for one and a half pence in old money.

Yes I remember the old herbalist shops and the sarsparilla..The liqource wood sticks were called Liquorice Root....Lasted hours and a good spit at the end.

Rgds Peter

Yes I remember the old herbalist shops and the sarsaparilla..The liquorice wood sticks were called Liquorice Root....Lasted hours and a good spit at the end.

Rgds Peter

Thanks for the reply PJKAY in answer to Carneys butchers i believe the shop is still there but NOT Carneys anymore not 100% sure as i live in the Midlands now perhaps someone can answer this question for you . The liquorice stick you mention was quite a big help to myself some 8yrs ago at that time i was on 60 to 80 fags a day then i started cutting liquorice stick into fag size lengths and chewed on that instead of having a fag believe me it worked for me i found it was just having something to do with my hands i used to buy it from the Wicker herbalist shop at the side of the Peace Gardens also the Herbalist shop in the old Castle market opposite Harringtons both now gone i believe you would not believe the amount of people who used to ask where i bought it and if i had got any spare to try for themselves :hihi: .

The best pork shops are in the Hillsborough area of Sheffield

The best pork shops are in the Hillsborough area of Sheffield

THERES A NICE LITTLE BUTCHERS OPPOSITE HIGH GREEN CLUB DOES A VERY NICE SANDWICH AND IS VERY REASONABLY PRICED :roll:

THERES A NICE LITTLE BUTCHERS OPPOSITE HIGH GREEN CLUB DOES A VERY NICE SANDWICH AND IS VERY REASONABLY PRICED :roll:

Think that ones called kevin williams and they are good sarnies

Think that ones called kevin williams and they are good sarnies
spot on mate it is :hihi: