Best roast pork sandwich shop ?

19 minutes ago, DerbyTup said:

This is my experience as well.  I'd heard from a number of people that Bere's do a very good pork sandwich.  I found myself in Hillsboro a few weeks ago - trying to kill time whilst I had the tracking done on my car up at Hawley's.   It's a pretty desperate place to try and kill time is Hillsborough, but it was lunchtime and I remembered hearing about Bere's, so I popped in for a pork sandwich.  I thought it was poor.

For a start they sliced the meat wafer thin on one of those electric slicers - then they sprinkle it with crackling dust!  Seriously, if anyone is advocating that this is "the best" pork sandwich in Sheffield then I'd encourage them to try a few more and compare.  

Some branches of Rose's the Bakers do a hot roast pork sandwich, with chunks of hot pork and crackling on top quality bread rolls.  My favourite though, by far actually, are the ones from Banner Crust - which is a small shop near the top of the hill at Banner Cross on Ecclesall Road (more or less opposite the Banner Cross Inn, a bit higher up on the other side).  They hand carve lovely thick juicy slices of hot pork and hot home-made stuffing, and chunks of crackling and apple sauce if desired.  I'd probably say you get 3 times as much pork on your sandwich as those from Bere's - and it's hot and it tastes delicious.  They do small ones for £2.85 or, if you're really hungry, they do a large one on a submarine type roll - I don't know how much that is tbh as the small ones are usually enough for me!

Thanks, I walk past Banner Crust every morning and it always smells delicious! I've never been in though, but that may change this morning. 

22 hours ago, stifflersmom said:

Thanks, I walk past Banner Crust every morning and it always smells delicious! I've never been in though, but that may change this morning. 

Let us know what you think?  They do hot pork and chicken from about 11.30 onwards.  Oh and btw - their home-made pies are excellent!  Full of meat and lovely pastry.  (I occasionally make my own pies but theirs are so good it's hardly worth the trouble!)

On 14/03/2019 at 07:36, stifflersmom said:

You should, Derby Tup is giving you a good steer, both on the pork sandwiches and the pies.

i know a really good one but its very small they cook a few joints and when they are gone they are gone and getting served there at lunchtime if you have any time constraints is a nightmare.  i go there regularly and i asked about them branching out a little cooking a few more and they happily said they are quite busy enough and certainly don't need any publicity...  so they get none from me but I will try those at sharrow vale and near wilkinsons when the opportunity arises.

How is Beres pronounced? Is it Berry’s or is it Beers or even berez?. 

23 hours ago, trainwalker said:

How is Beres pronounced? Is it Berry’s or is it Beers or even berez?. 

The originator was Hungarian so possibly along the lines of Beresh.

Bought a pork sarnie at Funks this morning. Nothing to complain about, apart from the rather small breadcakes they use.

Helen’s is pulled pork rather than sliced meat and always seems greasy. Am definitely going to try the recommendations in the Moor market 

On Derby Tup's recommendation I went to Banner Crust....it was fantastic! Thick slabs of pork in dripping, great apple sauce and crackling which was crunchy and crisp without being tooth breaking. I can't comment on the stuffing as I don't like it, but the homemade sausage rolls were also excellent.

The pies looked fantastic, and they do party sizes which will feed 10. 

Brilliant food!

On 19/03/2019 at 22:28, Brooker11 said:

The originator was Hungarian so possibly along the lines of Beresh.

That was what I thought. But a friend asked the staff one day and they said 'It's Berry's'. But then, those staff are not Hungarian, so maybe they are just going with the common mistake. Perhaps the originator anglicised the pronunciation, or just tolerated people getting it wrong all the time and stopped correcting it (like Bert Jansch).

It is Helens but pulled pork rather than sliced and a tendency to be a bit greasy