Best roast pork sandwich shop ?

Anyone tried Sandwich Division on Division Street or Lunch Stop on West Street? I’ve had sandwiches from both before but not tried their hot roast pork yet.

I was up in Sheffield a couple of weeks ago and had to spend quite a bit of time in town, sorting out family stuff at the Town Hall and Registrar's offices.  I popped in to the Moor Market food area a couple of times for summat  to eat and I'm happy to recommend a couple of pork sandwiches I had in there. The first was from Sally's Kitchen. Nice, big, soft breadcake, a decent amount of tender, tasty pork, a generous amount of stuffing/apple sauce and a nice, crunchy chunk of crackling.

The second pork sarnie I had was from McKay's - practically next door to Sally's. This one came with the added bonus of a portion of nice, tasty, roast potatoes served with it.  I'd score them both pretty equally. The Sally's pork sarnie is a bit bigger and a bit more generously filled, but the Mckay's  sarni is perfectly nice too - and the roast potatoes are a nice additional touch.

Dentons on Midddlewood Rd next to Wigfalls was the best sadly no longer there

Pashleys on Chesterfield Rd. With a bit of crackle on run by Jessie Pashley. 

On 19/04/2011 at 22:57, BrianE said:

Got to be Funks(Middlewood Road) for me.

Definitely Funks-hand carved meat and proper crackling but get there early as they soon sell out. Beres use slicer to cut pork as thin as possible, use pork scratching type crackling and available all day. Says it all

On 07/03/2019 at 21:25, FIRETHORN1 said:

The first was from Sally's Kitchen. Nice, big, soft breadcake, a decent amount of tender, tasty pork, a generous amount of stuffing/apple sauce and a nice, crunchy chunk of crackling.

The second pork sarnie I had was from McKay's - practically next door to Sally's. This one came with the added bonus of a portion of nice, tasty, roast potatoes served with it.  I'd score them both pretty equally. The Sally's pork sarnie is a bit bigger and a bit more generously filled, but the Mckay's  sarni is perfectly nice too - and the roast potatoes are a nice additional touch.

Yep,.i make a special journey on the bus into  town, i always go to the market for my.. "Tomato Sausage"...and then i used to have a nice Liver and Onion  sarnie with gravy on from "Sallys"...but they stopped doing them....McKays for the Pork sarnie with apple sauce ,stuffing ,crackling and last time i asked for a couple extra roast tats and was given five..all nicely done and a proper bargain....luvly grub.....:D :D

17 hours ago, catmiss said:

Definitely Funks-hand carved meat and proper crackling but get there early as they soon sell out. Beres use slicer to cut pork as thin as possible, use pork scratching type crackling and available all day. Says it all

I'd  go along with that as I have gone off Beres as the pork is salted and more like ham and as for the crackle , it comes seperately from the joint which is not a good sign, it is just hard crumbs sprinkled on top.

Funks is a proper pork joint that comes out of the oven around 11-15am and the crackle around the joint is perfect, not too hard and not too soft.

It's all personal opinion of course, but I must agree with some of the negative reviews about Beres  pork sarnies. I've tried them 2 or 3 times from their Hillsborough branch and found them to be pretty poor - the filling is quite meagre, the pork finely shredded and a bit dried-up and the crackling is not a nice chunk of crispy "real" crackling with a bit of fat on it - it's more like crackling "dust". They seem to roast a bit of fatless pork skin until it's really dry, then pound it to dust and keep it in a tray next to where they make the sarnies - then they just sprinkle a bit of this cold, dry crackling dust on top of the sarnie.

Hillsborough is my nearest shopping place when I'm up in Sheffield visiting my family -  so,  on future visits,  I'm going to make it my mission to try all the different pork sarnie shops down there, before  I pass a final verdict. I've tried Funk's and  Crawshaw's in the past, and wasn't too impressed at the time. However, that was years ago, so maybe it's time I gave them another try? I've never yet  tried a pork sarnie from Helen's on Hillsborough - so that will be my first stop on my next visit.

To this day though, the very best pork sarnie I've ever had in the  Sheffield 6 area was from a place called  L's Kitchen, in that row of shops, just opposite Wisewood school.  A bit off the beaten track, unless you live or work in that area, but their pork sarnie was massive,  a huge, proper breadcake, stuffed with piles of properly sliced pork, good stuffing/crackling/apple sauce and a massive helping of roast potatoes. They were so ridiculously massive,  that my brother and I used to order one between us.  It was more than enough - and he's a big, six-foot plus, strapping lad, with quite a big appetite!  (Admittedly, the last time I went to L's Kitchen was about 5 or 6 years ago - so it may not be the same now)    

1 hour ago, FIRETHORN1 said:

It's all personal opinion of course, but I must agree with some of the negative reviews about Beres  pork sarnies. I've tried them 2 or 3 times from their Hillsborough branch and found them to be pretty poor - the filling is quite meagre, the pork finely shredded and a bit dried-up and the crackling is not a nice chunk of crispy "real" crackling with a bit of fat on it - it's more like crackling "dust". They seem to roast a bit of fatless pork skin until it's really dry, then pound it to dust and keep it in a tray next to where they make the sarnies - then they just sprinkle a bit of this cold, dry crackling dust on top of the sarnie.

Hillsborough is my nearest shopping place when I'm up in Sheffield visiting my family -  so,  on future visits,  I'm going to make it my mission to try all the different pork sarnie shops down there, before  I pass a final verdict. I've tried Funk's and  Crawshaw's in the past, and wasn't too impressed at the time. However, that was years ago, so maybe it's time I gave them another try? I've never yet  tried a pork sarnie from Helen's on Hillsborough - so that will be my first stop on my next visit.

To this day though, the very best pork sarnie I've ever had in the  Sheffield 6 area was from a place called  L's Kitchen, in that row of shops, just opposite Wisewood school.  A bit off the beaten track, unless you live or work in that area, but their pork sarnie was massive,  a huge, proper breadcake, stuffed with piles of properly sliced pork, good stuffing/crackling/apple sauce and a massive helping of roast potatoes. They were so ridiculously massive,  that my brother and I used to order one between us.  It was more than enough - and he's a big, six-foot plus, strapping lad, with quite a big appetite!  (Admittedly, the last time I went to L's Kitchen was about 5 or 6 years ago - so it may not be the same now)    

L's Kitchen was still there when i was up there recently..

17 hours ago, FIRETHORN1 said:

I can definitely recommend Helens 👍 her pork sarnies are my favourite  💜 much tastier than Bere's in my opinion .... 

On 12/03/2019 at 20:42, FIRETHORN1 said:

This is my experience as well.  I'd heard from a number of people that Bere's do a very good pork sandwich.  I found myself in Hillsboro a few weeks ago - trying to kill time whilst I had the tracking done on my car up at Hawley's.   It's a pretty desperate place to try and kill time is Hillsborough, but it was lunchtime and I remembered hearing about Bere's, so I popped in for a pork sandwich.  I thought it was poor.

For a start they sliced the meat wafer thin on one of those electric slicers - then they sprinkle it with crackling dust!  Seriously, if anyone is advocating that this is "the best" pork sandwich in Sheffield then I'd encourage them to try a few more and compare.  

Some branches of Rose's the Bakers do a hot roast pork sandwich, with chunks of hot pork and crackling on top quality bread rolls.  My favourite though, by far actually, are the ones from Banner Crust - which is a small shop near the top of the hill at Banner Cross on Ecclesall Road (more or less opposite the Banner Cross Inn, a bit higher up on the other side).  They hand carve lovely thick juicy slices of hot pork and hot home-made stuffing, and chunks of crackling and apple sauce if desired.  I'd probably say you get 3 times as much pork on your sandwich as those from Bere's - and it's hot and it tastes delicious.  They do small ones for £2.85 or, if you're really hungry, they do a large one on a submarine type roll - I don't know how much that is tbh as the small ones are usually enough for me!

Edited by DerbyTup