When did sheffield bus service decide to stop buses running after midnight

Hi all, bit of a strange queston but me and my partner are arguing over when the busses stopped running after midnight? he says it was about 6 years ago i say a lot longer...

so basically in what year did they decide there would be no more busses after midnight?

I certainly don't remember them running through the night when i was growing up and im nearly 21... i may be wrong just wanted some info please:) x thanx

Hi all, bit of a strange queston but me and my partner are arguing over when the busses stopped running after midnight? he says it was about 6 years ago i say a lot longer...

so basically in what year did they decide there would be no more busses after midnight?

I certainly don't remember them running through the night when i was growing up and im nearly 21... i may be wrong just wanted some info please:) x thanx

When did who decide?

If you mean the private companies then probably once they realised they wouldn't make any money :)

The PTE, when it actually ran the buses itself, used to have late night services until 2am and early morning services beginning at about 4am.

The PTE had the direct responsibility for running buses taken away from it in 1986, so you're looking at some time after that. I don't know exactly when.

Night buses returned briefly towards the end of last year, they were axed about a month ago as hardly anyone used them and they lost money.

I'm in my 30's and I don't remember them running after midnight, certainly not in the 90s, not sure about the 80s as I was too young to know.

I used night buses in the 90s! To Bradway there was a bus at midnight and one at 02:20, when I first went clubbing they were 916/917 then when Pulse/Vogue opened they became the 975/921 then when First launched their Overground brand both got withdrawn and replaced by a 76 which didn't last long and that was the point we no longer had a night bus.

Around the same time First tried running the 52 through the night with mixed results.

Around the same time First tried running the 52 through the night with mixed results.

Do you think if one of the bus companies ran a "circular" service linking both hospitals on a night that it would work? I know that it wouldn't get everyone home but at least it would get people a bit nearer

I've been here for about 14 years now, and when I first got here the 52 used to run all night, but I never lived on that route, so no use to me! Didn't know that it ever stopped, but amazed that more didn't start... I've heard on here that they did restart some last year, but I totally missed that! Maybe if they advetised em, they'd be busy enough to run????

the last bus on normal service was at 11.15 pm which was called the "whistle" bus. the inspectors on high street and in the bus station would blow the whistle, and there'd be a mad scramble of buses shooting off out.

I'm sure i saw a thread on here last month about a night service starting in Sheffield that links Leopold Square to Hunters Bar and beyond?

I remember a night bus in the mid 90's, left Arundel gate at 1am, flat fare of £1 wherever you were going, went all through every village/housing estate on the route to Aston, took forever but was a good laugh, a jam packed bus full of drunks, happy days.