Waterthorpe council houses

My brother has moved in to a council house in waterthorpe which is 31 years old. My mum and I noticed that there are hooks under every window and we are intrieged as to what they are for?! Anyone know?

Thanks

They are outside under the top windows. They are on every house

Can't think what they could have been used for, unless they are houses of an age where the electric cables were fastened to the outside? Some older Council Houses had wiring on the outside that linked their homes to radio stations - Redifusion? The name springs to mind? Think that was back in the 1950's? :huh:

We wondered if it housed a cable but the hook isn't always inline with the next hook (ie if the bathroom has a higher/smaller window the hook is higher up the house) we're stumped!

The high-rise on Norfolk Park had hooks under the windows.

They were to attach rope ladders and such like to help folk escape in the event of a fire. maybe the ones on these properties are a throwback to that concept?