St Marks Eve Nationwide Paranormal Investestigation

Nation Wide Paranormal Investigation

we are going to try and do a nationwide paranormal investigation on Sunday the 24th of April,aka St Marks eve.

Please read our information below for the history behind the tradition and folklore.

The idea will be that you will conduct your own church porch watch from the hours of 11pm till 1am at your

local church yard and revive an old tradition.

We project-reveal will be live from a local church porch from our website "Project-reveal" with a special edition of our live stream.

binging you infomation and live covarage from all over the world.

All people, groups, Investigators taking part i would like to ask you to keep us updated on whats going off around you by emailing us via our website, or texting us updates "number on our website"

We would like as many people as possible to take part in this night.

Information on St Marks Eve

St. Mark's Eve is the day before the feast day of St. Mark the Evangelist. In liturgical Christian churches, this feast is observed on April 25 of each year; thus St. Mark's Eve is April 24.

On St. Mark's Eve it was the custom in the villages of England, from the 17th century to the late 19th century, to sit in the church porch between the hours of 11.00 p.m. and 1.00 a.m. for three successive years. On the third such sitting, it was said that the ghosts of those to die during the year would be witnessed passing into the church. This practice took place throughout England, but was most prevalent in northern and western counties. Some accounts of the custom state that the watchers must be fasting, or must circle the church before taking up position. The ghosts of those who were to die soon would be the first observed, while those who would almost see out the year would not be witnessed until almost 1.00 a.m. Other variations of the superstition say that the watchers would see headless or rotting corpses, or coffins approaching.

Another, one might say opposite tradition holds that a young woman can see the face of her future husband appear on her smock by holding it before the fire on St Mark's Eve.

Edited by lee steer

Hope some people will try this out and revive and old custom and tradition.

Well i think Hauntastic is right in what he says. Many on this forum just like to attack peoples interests which is why i dont like posting on here and very rarely come here now.

As I've said before: attacking the supernatural is open season on here and I'm not quite sure why.

As long as it's all done for (good scary) fun, I don't see any harm in it :)

Well i think Hauntastic is right in what he says. Many on this forum just like to attack peoples interests which is why i dont like posting on here and very rarely come here now.

Many on this forum like to challenge baseless superstitious claims, I don't think its about attacking people's interests for the sake of it, at least it isn't for me.

Well before this turns nasty, which i am sure it will, and please don't qoute me as i can read what i write. Let me make it clear what we are doing:

I research the history for project reveal so i dont believe in ghosts at all, I thought this idea of st marks eve would be something different for anyone to do themselves as a custom or tradition, there is no charge because we are not holding an event. I have collated some information if anyone would like to read it here http://www.openzine.com/aspx/Zine.aspx?IssueID=20138

I see this night similar to haloween in a past tense, something that was done by villagers and passed down in stories, a bit of fun.

I too criticise mediums and the paranormal but on this forum it seems to get personal and bitchy which is a shame because some people are interested.

I have no interest in football, kniting or christianity but i dont go looking for posts about them that i disagree with and put people down because of there belief wether it based on fact or fiction. So if your really not interested in the topic then really dont bother posting because i can't see the point.

I await the onslaught of qoutes and put-me-downs, however this is my last post on this topic as i have other things to do.

But according to the OP your mugs victims volunteers will have to go and hang around in a church porch, or hold hands around it, and maybe not have had their tea beforehand for three hours this year and next year until eventually in 2012 they will see for the first time ever in human history a collection of Thrilleresque ghoulies that are ghosts of people who are still alive traipsing towards them with heads, without heads or in a box, which I presume hovers its way down the gravel path.

That's a mightily compelling offer you have there.

Can't we just wait for the DVD?

If i had to put money on the next comment it would have been you Tony, I have looked back at most of your previous comments on the forum and there seems to be a pattern of you and several others that all swarm to attack, you dont really ask any questions or show any interest, you just dive in with critic and witisism. If you find it repulsive in some way then surely there are enough of you to ask topics like this to stop, or better still you could find an interest and discuss that.

I am not sure there will be a DVD but if there is then i will send you a copy.

I am not interested in making money, i dont watch mosthaunted or other tv shows like that, i dont hold hands chanting or do oujia boards. Just thought it would be a bit of fun for some interested people of which there are some (who probably find it offensive to be called mugs or victims)

I wonder if anyone who's ever said 'this is my last post on the subject' has ever actually stood by it?

I really enjoy these threads, they are sometimes intellectually challenging, they stimulate me to go and read more so I can continue pointing out how silly it is to keep acting upon these outdated superstitions, and they are always funny. I would hate to see these topics stop, long may they continue. Hauntastic's recent threads have been my favorite on this forum for some time.

If i had to put money on the next comment it would have been you Tony, I have looked back at most of your previous comments on the forum and there seems to be a pattern of you and several others that all swarm to attack, you dont really ask any questions or show any interest, you just dive in with critic and witisism. If you find it repulsive in some way then surely there are enough of you to ask topics like this to stop, or better still you could find an interest and discuss that.

I am not sure there will be a DVD but if there is then i will send you a copy.

I am not interested in making money, i dont watch mosthaunted or other tv shows like that, i dont hold hands chanting or do oujia boards. Just thought it would be a bit of fun for some interested people of which there are some (who probably find it offensive to be called mugs or victims)

Yea, but what about hanging around in the church porch for the next three years?

How come your gang finds it so hard to deal with a challenge when made? Deep down are you feeling guilty for conning people out of their hard earned cash?